Wood insert door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Havlikn

Jan 19, 2022
Wi
I have a new wood insert with a blower fan. I get quiet a bit of heat out of it. Should I always burn with the door closed. It seems like if I leave the door open I will get more radiating heat into the room.

I have a new wood insert with a blower fan. I get quiet a bit of heat out of it. Should I always burn with the door closed. It seems like if I leave the door open I will get more radiating heat into the room.

If you leave the door open you will overfire your stove.

Unless stove manual allows for it explicitly and you have a screen to catch popping embers, you’re asking for a problem.
Not to mention, the efficiency of your stove is far less with door open.

Unless stove manual allows for it explicitly and you have a screen to catch popping embers, you’re asking for a problem.
Not to mention, the efficiency of your stove is far less with door open.

I took it he meant cracked, but your assessment of doors fully open seems more likely what they meant. Either way is not going to give them what they want which is more heat in the house.

When saying I leave the door open I am not saying wide open with full fire. When there is a bed of coals burnt only, I open the door about a 1/4-1/3 of the way. Always around when the fire burning. I’m just thinking that this would radiate more heat?

It's built to be run with the doors closed, that's how it will be the most efficient. Absolutely no reason you have to be around it either. I get the stove going every morning before leaving for work.

When saying I leave the door open I am not saying wide open with full fire. When there is a bed of coals burnt only, I open the door about a 1/4-1/3 of the way. Always around when the fire burning. I’m just thinking that this would radiate more heat?
An open fireplace probably radiates heat in the same way but is not a good way to gain heat overall.

If the stove has a screen and is designed to operate this way, then it should be ok. I think some Drolets and Osburns offer this option. The screen is important. There can still be pockets in the core of some rounds or splits that will pop unexpectedly even in the charcoal stage.

What insert is this?

If the stove has a screen and is designed to operate this way, then it should be ok. I think some Drolets and Osburns offer this option. The screen is important. There can still be pockets in the core of some rounds or splits that will pop unexpectedly even in the charcoal stage.

What insert is this?
Pacific energy Neo 2.5

Pacific energy Neo 2.5
In this case, there is no screen and the manual has a specific warning:

WARNING: Always keep loading door closed when burning.
This heater is not designed for open door burning.