Wood insert Jotul vs Hybride?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nacma

Jan 7, 2017
Quebec
Hello,
Planning to install an insert in our cottage, we'd like a large window. Our options narrowed down to
Large flush Hybrid-Fyre (Fireplex) vs Jotul C55 Rockland vs Vermont Casting Montpelier.
Fireplex has a larger window but is "Hybrid", Vermont Casting mid size but smaller fire Box.
Any suggestions? Or should I absolutely avoid one, the Fireplex seems to be less known as a brand.
Thank you.

I believe you meant to type "Jotul 550" also known as the Rockland.

I've run the Jotul 550 for many years, if you have any question with it feel free to ask. No experience with the others though. Just quickly I can summarize the plus and minus points I've found with the Jotul... YMMV. Positives are it is a very robust stove, my example was high quality and has taken some overfires just fine. heavy steel firebox with cast iron accents on the front. Heavy cast iron baffle plates, no thin fiber board or insulation blankets to worry about. Nice door latch. Looks nice. Flush allows it to be installed in most existing fireplaces without having to extend or modify them. Blowers move a good bit of air. On the minus it doesn't have great control - it's minimum air setting is too high if you have strong draft, many times it ran away from me with the air set on minimum and not a whole lot I could do (can't close the secondary air port since it's inaccessible inside the stove). Might not be a problem if your chimney has less draw. The fans are a bit noisy on full, but can be turned down if needed. Lack of location to place thermometer - unless you rig up a probe hooked up to digital display your stuck with having to shoot IR temp gun in the top blower slot or place a magentic in the slot backward and attempt to read it. The firebox is a bit awkward shaped - very wide but not tall or deep - so hard to say what the best length of wood is to cut. The usual 16" or so will only fill the stove 2/3 unless you have some small stuff to stuff in the gaps. 24" long pieces are really hard to work with and end up usually being not perfectly straight and robbing you of a lot of room too. Best is 13" loaded n/s (front to back) but 13" pieces mean more cutting and splitting and harder to stack. And I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the Jotul in particular or just with flush inserts in general but they seem to not be nearly as efficient as a free standing stove that can radiate on all sides. And of course you can't cook with them and things like that. Good luck with your decision.

Yes, and I think by Fireplex you might mean FPX or Fireplace Extrordinaire. The Hybrid-Fyre is made by Travis Industries. It's also sold under the Lopi brand. Search on Hybrid-Fyre here for more threads.

I would also suggest you look to see if the Enviro Boston (or Venice) 1700 insert fits your fireplace. It will provide a larger firebox. Another good view fireplace insert of this size is the Hearthstone Clydesdale.