Wood Insert - Lopi Medium Flush Mount NexGen-Fyre

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is your den completely enclosed? What is the floor plan? A couple of pictures would help.
No it’s a lower level of a split level house. The stairs are next to the hearth. The stairs go up to the open living area (biggest and coldest room). And then above the den is 3 bedrooms. The stairwell is open railing. I am planning on drawing a sketch bc I’m really undecided on if I should get a medium or large. The sales woman said a large sized Lopi could burn us out of the down stairs bc it’ll get the room too hot.

Here’s two pictures showing the fire place location and stairwell. The heat will need to basically do a U turn to get to the main living space.
IMG_8582.jpeg
IMG_8620.jpeg

No it’s a lower level of a split level house. The stairs are next to the hearth. The stairs go up to the open living area (biggest and coldest room). And then above the den is 3 bedrooms. The stairwell is open railing. I am planning on drawing a sketch bc I’m really undecided on if I should get a medium or large. The sales woman said a large sized Lopi could burn us out of the down stairs bc it’ll get the room too hot.

Here’s two pictures showing the fire place location and stairwell. The heat will need to basically do a U turn to get to the main living space.
What is the purpose of the stove? Are you planning to use it for occasional fires or will try to transfer the heat to the house?
The free-standing stove would cook you out. The flush inset is not so much. It heats mostly with air moving by a fan.
You can always add a fan next to your staircase to transfer the heat. Plus, hot air will travel up by itself.
Worst case scenario, you can put less wood when the family hangs in the den.
I would go with large. It's like engine size. 3 liters can do what 2 liters does, but 2 l can't so what 3 l.
The box size is not that large, it narrows, so it is not really that big, versus same size stove with a rectangular shape.
I have same size free standing wood stove with “normal” box in the basement and it's day and night when it comes to performance .

What is the purpose of the stove? Are you planning to use it for occasional fires or will try to transfer the heat to the house?
The free-standing stove would cook you out. The flush inset is not so much. It heats mostly with air moving by a fan.
You can always add a fan next to your staircase to transfer the heat. Plus, hot air will travel up by itself.
Worst case scenario, you can put less wood when the family hangs in the den.
I would go with large. It's like engine size. 3 liters can do what 2 liters does, but 2 l can't so what 3 l.
The box size is not that large, it narrows, so it is not really that big, versus same size stove with a rectangular shape.
I have same size free standing wood stove with “normal” box in the basement and it's day and night when it comes to performance .
It works be used as supplements heat but I’d try to burn it over night and every night to lower my electric bill. I would try to move the heater sure around using fans.

I agree mostly about bigger is better but I just don’t want to get burned out of the room.

Get bigger, the air will travel. When I burn my wood stove in the basement the heat goes up the staircase to the main level. You can feel it passing by.