wood insert no chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildturkey

Jan 6, 2014
indiana
HI everyone

I have a different situation and need some advice.
I had a wood insert and a stone chimney. I had to replace my entire roof last year because of my chimney was all stone (no block backing) and leaked badly so my chimney was ripped down below my roof line (could never stop the leek the way it was). My question is can I run class a pipe from my insert all the way out of my roof. I cannot use chimney liner as I don't have a chimney its a very large fireplace all stone with an insert but my chimney stops in my attic this is why I want to run class a instead of building a new chimney thru the roof. can you connect class a pipe directly to a wood burning insert any help or advice is greatly appreciated THANK YOU

Welcome. There may be a solution by anchoring the class A pipe to the stone chimney in the attic with a sealed top plate. What is the make and model of the insert in the fireplace?

Pictures of the chimney stub in the attic and of the stove would be helpful here.

Welcome. There may be a solution by anchoring the class A pipe to the stone chimney in the attic with a sealed top plate. What is the make and model of the insert in the fireplace?

Pictures of the chimney stub in the attic and of the stove would be helpful here.

My insert has a crack in the cast iron im looking to buy a new one but I want to be sure I can do it before I spend 2000+ I thought about a top plate with class a up and black pipe below. like a wood stove install. my chimney stub is about 10 inches above my ceiling joists. single story ranch with a 4/12 pitch

That sounds reasonable. Note it cant' be black pipe in a chimney, it must be a stainless liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.