Wood Insert with no vent collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whtdouwnt

Aug 26, 2014
Philadelphia
I have a woodburing insert that came with my house. I do not remember the brand but when I looked them up they went out of business in the 1980s. Anyway, my questions is I am finally getting ready to install a liner bit the top of the insert has no collar to hook the liner up to. There is a 10" round hole and the flue comes out the top of the insert when it is open. How am I able to hook the liner up?

Most inserts do NOT have a flue collar & utilize this flex-to-rigid adapter.
If you can find one to fit a 10" diameter it will fit INSIDE the hole.
The weight of the liner should hold it in place, but
L-shaped brackets, screwed to the adapter & the
top of the insert are also used

I am curious about this insert. 10" is huge. What make/model is it? If unknown can you post a picture?

Im guessing this is 10" rectangle exhaust. If it is then you will need a Rectangle to Round insert boot.

smroundboot01.jpg

http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/reducers_increasers.php

Given the age of the insert I would rather recommend a new EPA-approved one than spending more money to get that old smoke dragon back to work. Who knows how it has been treated during all that time.

Reactions: blacktail
I think I'd lean towards a newer insert too.

Waiting for the OP to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.