Wood Rack Concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eightball1313

Sep 24, 2019
Poconos, Pa
Hey all,

Im in the process of building a wood seasoning rack, or bin if you will. I have it built on a concrete pad and also have it raised off that concrete pad a total of 6" using pressure treated 6x6 blocks, do you all think its ok to use regular 2x4 and 1x6 lumber for the rest of the rack (Uprights, bracing, floor boards, side boards)? Or do you think it has to all be pressure treated lumber since it wont have a roof over it? My overall plan is to stack firewood in this bin to get it out of the way in my yard like i used to have it, let it season there, and then move it from there to my 5 foot overhand roof for winter time storage. I personally think its ok to use regular lumber since its off the ground and will have air flow, but figured id look for everyone elses opinion as well. i can post a picture if need be.

It'll last a while, but not as long as pressure treated. I've got regular lumber for my firewood racks going on a few years now that looks fine however these are mostly oak and other hardwood 4x4's so that's obviously a lot different.

It'll last a while, but not as long as pressure treated. I've got regular lumber for my firewood racks going on a few years now that looks fine however these are mostly oak and other hardwood 4x4's so that's obviously a lot different.
yeah i should have used oak, im just using all the scrappy 2x4's and 1x6's from our sawmill that we run, i always tend to be using the scrap that we didnt want to sell haha.

Reactions: Woody5506
If it's scrap then it's free.

I'd still put a roof on it but that's me.

yeah i should have used oak, im just using all the scrappy 2x4's and 1x6's from our sawmill that we run, i always tend to be using the scrap that we didnt want to sell haha.

When it comes to wood burning and everything related you really can't go wrong with free. All the oak and hardwood lumber I got was from long pallets for sheet metal that a neighboring business to mine would have stacked up. I always thought it seemed like a shame for all that oak and cherry to just end up in a dumpster, and then comparing that to what you would pay for those 4x4's at a lumber yard.