1. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Home size is really increasing, though still it's a big place. According to the National Association of Home Builders, the average home size in the United States was 2,700 square feet in 2009, up from 1,400 square feet in 1970.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Yep. But things vary quite a bit regionally, and even more town by town or neighborhood by neighborhood. They're throwing up 6000 sq.ft. McMansions like nobody's business around here the last 20 years, so while I'll admit this place is definitely above average on size, it's not exactly rare or unusual.

If I recall, there are two guys on this forum over 10,000 sq.ft. :eek:

Oh... and the most important bit of news: the spousal unit approved the wood shed project. Going to the township next week. Thanks for pushing me in this direction, begreen and others.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ED 3000 and Lone_Gun like this.
  3. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    This will be fun to follow. Good luck with the township.

I've lived in an a couple of georgous 8,000+ square ft homes in my life, and now live in one that's under 2,000 (this one has a barn, to be fair). The space that was actually lived in, in the large houses, was generally about the same square footage as my current place. The rest collected dust, bills, and unwanted long-term guests (I was an example at both large places).

4. jeanw

jeanw
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 23, 2008
    Loc:
    ky
    why y'all put up with township restrictions if y'all live out in the boonies? The Martha Stewart Im not. proud of it. Newer neighbor ,Hubby was told rumor has it) talking about putting up a fence. LOL
    yeah I know its a bit messy...Just have too much stuff. moving from bigger place to smaller place with hardly any land and def very little storage. Wish Neighbor would sell me part of his one lot Could then put in a nice shed, extra sheds that is.... But the Ass hat neighbor is prob up to his neck in debt. Typical American mindset. Not me hanks all

5. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I don’t live in the boonies, I’m in a suburb of Philadelphia, albeit a suburb that puts a little more emphasis on open space than the rest. Sometimes I wish I lived in the boonies, but it can be hard to find a relatively secure array of high-paying tech jobs very far from high population density, so we compromise.

6. semipro

semipro
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2009
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    You usually seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want else I would have suggested this direction also.
    I constructed our wood shed such that wood was stored around the outside and equipment inside. The wood stacks block the view and the weather and the equipment is moved out when wood transfer to the house is needed - nice synergy. Although I'm not there yet it seems silly to me not to plan for eventual hauling of wood to the house via pallet forks on my tractor.

7. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, I'll probably come around on the pallet fork thing someday, myself. For right now, the wagon works, and allows me to stack higher than I likely could with pallets.