Wood score for me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westkywood

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
Kentucky
I have a friend in the tree cutting business. He brought me 4 large trailer loads of Oak wood the other day. No small limbs or brush. I think I'll end up with around 4 to 5 cords. I combined all 4 loads into one picture. He charged me $65.00 for all 4 loads. OH YEAH!!!

Attachments

• wood 2012.jpg
    wood 2012.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 630
I need a friend like that!! great score

Wowsa. Delivered no less. Nice score! How long until it gets processed and stacked?

Good question on how long. Been working on it for almost a week every day and I'm not even half way there. Stacking it is the worst part. I just want to get it done before it gets hot. And yes, the best part is having it dumped in my yard right next to my wood stacks. I had a neighbor stop by ( about 1/4 mile down the road ) while the 3rd load was being delivered and said " I meant to tell you, I cleared a lot of woods behind the house and you're welcome to all the wood back there you want". I told him I have all I need. :)

Must be a fantastic score if you are able to turn down free, next door wood.
Might be worth looking at your neighbors woods. Might some good stuff. Gonna take the oak a few year to be ready. :)

Turning down free wood, next door to you, could be considered a crime, especially if it's some of the *** "goof stuff" ***LOL :lol:

Nice score, & cheap. You'd have more in travel cost. Almost as good as "Free"!!
That's gonna make your stacks grow :)

westkywood said:
I had a neighbor stop by ( about 1/4 mile down the road ) while the 3rd load was being delivered and said " I meant to tell you, I cleared a lot of woods behind the house and you're welcome to all the wood back there you want". I told him I have all I need. :)
Sacrilege and heresy, I say!! :mad: :lol:

BTW, nice score on that Oak! What kind? Looks like some nice Black from here...

bogydave said:
Might be worth looking at your neighbors woods. Might some good stuff. Gonna take the oak a few year to be ready. :)

Turning down free wood, next door to you, could be considered a crime, especially if it's some of the *** "goof stuff" ***LOL :lol:

I'm already at least 3 years ahead on wood. This wood wont be used for at least 3 years. This wood is going to push me up to 5-6 years ahead. I'd have to go get the wood from my neighbor. This is dumped in my yard cut in 4 1/2 foot lengths for about $15.00 a cord. My tree guy tried to talk me into taking more. I have no more room and running out of time to process it.
I think the defense has proven his case .. :)

Woody Stover said:
westkywood said:
I had a neighbor stop by ( about 1/4 mile down the road ) while the 3rd load was being delivered and said " I meant to tell you, I cleared a lot of woods behind the house and you're welcome to all the wood back there you want". I told him I have all I need. :)
Sacrilege and heresy, I say!! :mad: :lol:

BTW, nice score on that Oak! What kind? Looks like some nice Black from here...

Three loads of it is Red Oak. One load ( the second load, top pic on right ) is Chinkapin Oak I think. Any one else want to take a stab at it? I think that's what my tree guy said it was any way.

Supprised a "friend" charged you, unless he normally sells it to others or sells wood himself. My college buddy who's family is in the tree biz has to pay to dump the wood, if they dont keep it to split and sell.

clemsonfor said:
Supprised a "friend" charged you, unless he normally sells it to others or sells wood himself. My college buddy who's family is in the tree biz has to pay to dump the wood, if they dont keep it to split and sell.

This guy actually just gets the work for the tree company and is paid a percentage from the jobs. I got 2 free loads from him last year but this year they began selling it for $30.00 a truck load. So I got it for about half price. I'm not going to complain about paying $65.00 for 4 - 5 cords of wood. They do have to pay to dump it but I cant blame them for selling it when they can. They have people that would have bought these loads.
Another note. Last year when the wood was free, I got lots of limbs and debris I had to dispose of. I'll use 100% of this.

westkywood said:
Good question on how long. Been working on it for almost a week every day and I'm not even half way there. Stacking it is the worst part. I just want to get it done before it gets hot. And yes, the best part is having it dumped in my yard right next to my wood stacks. I had a neighbor stop by ( about 1/4 mile down the road ) while the 3rd load was being delivered and said " I meant to tell you, I cleared a lot of woods behind the house and you're welcome to all the wood back there you want". I told him I have all I need. :)

Ummmmmm.........that's just plain crazy! ;-) Nice score! Cheers!

westkywood said:
bogydave said:

I'm already at least 3 years ahead on wood. This wood wont be used for at least 3 years. This wood is going to push me up to 5-6 years ahead. I'd have to go get the wood from my neighbor. This is dumped in my yard cut in 4 1/2 foot lengths for about $15.00 a cord. My tree guy tried to talk me into taking more. I have no more room and running out of time to process it.

Load up your stove & wood & move to a colder place, you got allot of wood to burn LOL :)
(Alaska maybe, no tornadoes & no snakes :) )

Must be a nice feeling , 6 years ahead is competing with Backwood Savage :)

westkywood said:
bogydave said:

I'm already at least 3 years ahead on wood. This wood wont be used for at least 3 years. This wood is going to push me up to 5-6 years ahead.
I'd have to go get the wood from my neighbor. This is dumped in my yard cut in 4 1/2 foot lengths for about $15.00 a cord. My tree guy tried to talk me into taking more. I have no more room and running out of time to process it.

Congratulations to you westkywood! That work and wood will pay you great dividends.

Nice! Heck with the price of gas, that makes it like free. Plus even stack, thats kinda of like iceing on the cake. Also congrats on getting that far ahead, it will make the future go smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.