Wood Score **Pics**

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
Not your average score from what I have seen around here but here is what I scored by answering a free ad on craigslist. I answered an ad for "milled lumber" 5 to 8 foot lengths. After speaking to the woman, I knew that something good was awaiting me. She said her builder milled up these trees that were on her property in order to incorporate them into the home...never happened...this stuff has stacked in her garage for 5 years....she just wanted it gone asap. Load on truck is everything I got. 5/4 red oak boards of varied widths and like 9-11 feet long. Couple uglies but can rip them up. Majority of is is very nice. straight, minimum checking. The rest is pine. 1x6, 1x8 stuff. straight. I am nervous for my 10" ryobi thickness planer. Also got a couple of chunks of doug fir. I measured moisture and have got between 10 and 13 percent. I am thinking the oak will make a nice kitchen island and I have no plans right not for pine. I know this isn't firewood so sorry mods but figured the scroungers around here would appreciate a score like this. When I arrived to pick it up she told em she had over 100 replies for it. photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 1.jpg

So, you're not gonna burn it? Nice score. Free wood is better than paying for wood.

Great stuff!

Good stuff does come up on CL. You need to be quick and lucky.

Reactions: ScotO
Wow! That has to be one of the best finds ever. Good for you.

Reactions: ScotO
There's something cool about seeing a standing tree turn into lumber, and being able to make a 'keepsake' or something that will outlive you. The story that goes with the wood is priceless.......

I'm anxious to get to my buddy's place in a month or so and mill up the batch of logs we have out there. I'll have around 7 big pine logs and hopefully 2 or 3 white oak logs to mill. Now I have to find a place to sticker and stack that wood.....I have a place in mind.

The pine will be for my woodshed project and the oak, well that will be for misc. projects around the house. One of those projects will be a wheelbarrow that will be made specifically to haul splits down into the basement.....

Great score, Boom Stick!! I expect some pictures when you build something with that stuff!

Great score.
Lots of potential projects in that stack. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.