wood scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
With this being the first year wood burning, I underestimated the amount of wood I'd need. I had about 3.5 cords of burnable wood.

I have a lot more for next year...probably 4 cords already and access to 50 standing, but that leaves me short this year. So with about 1 cord left it's time to go scrounging. I went back to a friend of my fathers who supplied me with about 1/2 a cord of really well seasoned Elm. He had some additional trees that needed to be cut down...Unfortunately it's all (sigh....) Elm. Some 5year dead and still standing Elms are 20" or so at the base and I'd guess 60' high. There are 3 of those. I figure I'll try cutting disks this time.

I also still have to go back to my neighbor who has a lot of dead standing Elm.

Next on the list is my wife's cousin who has a heavily wooded .7 acre lot he want's cleared. All Oak Maple and Cherry.

I've also noticed a lot of people who have stuff just cut from a wind storm laying in their yards...I've been knocking on doors to ask for that also.

Lastly, I found a empty lot someone dumped rounds into. They're about 20" across, so on the way home from work I grabbed 5 of them. When I split them, the wood had bright Kool-aid red colored stripes in it. What the heck is this stuff?

Later,
Warren

briht coolaid red stripes? is it closegrained, straightgrained wood? Hickory comes to mind. I am not sure what variety of hickory it is that I run into the most here, but often there is red striping in it. Splits much easier than it's reputation led me to expect.

Oh, and when you take down the dead standing trees. seperate the branches from the rest. I have found that branches of dead trees are usually ready to burn now. the closer you get to the roots, the wetter it is.... At least you won't get caught in this problem next year.

When I split Boxelder it has a very red tone inside, has a pleasant aroma when burning, and it burns quickly. Considering someone just dumped the rounds that may very well be what you have there.

Status
Not open for further replies.