Wood Seller's Form

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wow! $700 for a cord. One could tell their child, "We can't afford to send you to college. We have to buy firewood this year!"

Last edited:
Wow! $700 for a cord. One could tell their child, "We can't afford to send you to college. We have to buy firewood this year!"
The people that are proposing this form are looking for the best of the best of the best of wood
and you will pay 700 per cubic cord. My sons and I cut split and sell close to 100 cords a year
The woodcut this winter will be sold in3 years. It is dried outside in a teepee style of stacking.
Not the best but that's the way it comes off the conveyor. Stacking costs time and money.
I now sell by the cord 350 delivered within 40 miles of the farm. If I were to follow your form
I would have to at least add 150 to a cord and add in a delivery charge. But I am sure you wood
snobs would pay for that. My customers not so much ::-)

This form will take me maybe 10 or 15 minutes of extra time to fill out and hand to the customer. All I need is a BTU chart, a moisture meter, and a tape measure. I know the species of wood in my piles so I will estimate the cordage of each species (my piles are mixed). I'm willing to give up 15 minutes of my time.

I00 customers at 15 min each =25 unpaid hours
And that's if the customer wish's not to engage in additional conversation.

Reactions: johneh
Hey from a seller's POV - would this lead to any grey zones that potentially open you up for frivolous litigation? Example 25% instead of 35% ash, customer asking you to prove that you are indeed selling oak/ash/pine (kinda like Subway tuna law suit), etc.

Even if you win or even if the case get tossed out, it is still a sink for your time to prepare for those crazies.

If a firewood dealer chooses, on that dealer’s own, to inform and teach stove owners about Btu’s and characteristics of wood species and to keep track of how much maple is mixed in his load it could be a fine service. But let’s not forget that wood burning in the U.S. has been around a while. Let’s embrace or accept the new technology but not forget that there is a certain independence we share as wood burners. It is on me to understand what and how to log or to shop for wood and how to use it. We all may not have grown up doing it but Information is so available today. It’s also up to me to find a dealer who brings me the wood I expect and it’s sensible to stay with that person.

Reactions: qwee and enordy
Haha man wish you were dealing wood in CT. I'll happily pay premium for wood that I don't need to worry about. Have you had any interactions with customers yet with the form? What's their feedback?

roflamoooooo

Scary thing is my wife probably will like this over the pile I have in shed

At 700/cd the proposed form also better be stacking, moving wood to the boiler or insert AND shoveling out the ash!!!!

That would cost me over 5000.00 per year. I never thought of boutique wood delivery options. 😂

I do boutique, or gourmet. But then in my own kitchen, made from normal ingredients. Play around, make it taste good, then call it boutique. And eat it.

I.e. I don't buy split wood...

I do boutique, or gourmet. But then in my own kitchen, made from normal ingredients. Play around, make it taste good, then call it boutique. And eat it.

I.e. I don't buy split wood...
I’m living here fulltime now. Now I’ll get mostly off my local guy but I will still buy a cord or 3.
February was the first real long term test of my wood boiler and burn rates. I was a little light on my estimate but it was also record breaking cold here for a lot of it plus I added a room.

Reactions: all night moe
Your level of interest in firewood and desire to learn more about burning firewood is not necessarily shared by the other 99% of the market you are selling to. Firewood customers want to feel they got good value in there purchase and the product was accurately described. Most people won’t have interest in the moisture content numbers but will be looking for wood that is seasoned and burns well in the stove ,furnace or fireplace they are burning in. I like you have a great deal of interest in all of the details of burning, but the customers that I sell to don’t care at all about those details. My customers constantly tell me that my wood is the best they have ever used because it light easy and generates lots of heat. Your the expert, they just want to heat there house efficiently or enjoy the heat and ambiance of wood.

Regardless, one could still give the "receipt" (with a lot of info) to the buyers. Those that are interested read. Those that are not, have firestarter. Those that read and learn something: good deed done. And that's a good thing.

So if the OP wants to spend his time to be a force for good in this world, even if it is only picked up by a small fraction of buyers, more power to him.

Just my two cents.

I would not put website forums on there because they can see prices paid around the country and then you could lose a customer. Figure out how to sell premium wood and charge a pretty big price because if you don’t you are likely losing money. Firewood is a ton of work. Especially premium, seasoned wood. Educate your customers via email. Ask if they would like to learn more, then send short emails in a series to educate them. Although, probably most will not have the interest level you have. They just want good burning wood.