I have seen wood piles blow out, but not shed walls. I don't recall seeing any blow out here, but maybe my scope is limited. You had me wondering so I went out and checked our shed and found no signs of strain on the nails holding up the lattice, nor play.
After reading this thread about lateral blow-out which I had not considered, I added an additional two horizontal 2x4s to each side and use some spare landscape timbers as vertical end pillars. Maybe I didn't need it? Oh, well, I had to substitute PT 1x6 boards for the recommended PT 5/4x6 deck boards because my local Home Depot was completely out of PT deck boards all summer. It means the side slats are fairly thin and weak. If they were all deck boards I might not have bothered.
I started this a few years ago. Mostly reclaimed materials.
Here's how it stands today. I have been planning to pour a slab in it but other things have taken priority and I fill it with wood every spring. I also planned to add a lean-to off the back (more of an extension of the roof line) to park trailer, splitter etc., but again, not enough time. I roll down the doors come the fall a close the 4x8 hatch doors on the back that aid in ventilation. the 6 cord + the 1 (21 face) cord stack shown is enough to get me through the coldest of winters, and I've got plenty of backup in piles in the back of the property that are well protected. I could fit 11 cord in it if I didn't use the space for other things, but it's convenient storage. I just put in a new stove and anticipate my usage will be down this year. I probably won't touch that stack of ash this year regardless as I'm trying to burn up some Manitoba Maple/Aspen stacks during shoulder season to get rid of them.
Thanks. I think the pictures might make it look bigger than it is. The roll up doors are 8x7, and I think the structure is approx. 22' x 12'. I wanted to make it deeper, however I was limited by the length of the reclaimed "I" joists I used for rafters. I also would have went wider, but I didn't want to push too close to the black walnut beside it and I didn't want to push the span between the poles too far (nor add another pair). Also was limited by the length, of the again reclaimed, 2x12s for the beams.
The plan is to add another row of poles at the back and sister in rafters to create an extension. The roof height will be barely 6' at the back end, but if will give me more roof space to store misc stuff and free up the whole shed for firewood.
If I was to do it again, I'd build a two sided drive through shed that I could more quickly load/unload and more easily keep my stacks from different seasons separate (i.e. seasoning on one side, ready to burn on another). And not so tall, as I need a stool to top off the stacks. Eventually though I hope to just add a cold room to the foundation of the house (with a 3 season room above it as an extension to the kitchen and the pool deck) where I can put the firewood in to avoid having to truck it into the basement by the small wagon load all winter long. That being said, one step at a time (the wife is currently getting a kitchen while outbuilding projects are on hold) and it's come a long way since my scrap lumber and tarp wood shed.