Wood shed questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dante2

Oct 5, 2008
Okc OK
This is my first year with a wood stove (englander 13nc) and I hope to have it up and running this weekend. I have to store my wood for next year somewhere and I have an old metal storage shed without doors standing empty. Would this make a good place for wood storage? If not, what would be the best way to modify it for wood storage? This shed has withstood some pretty strong winds here and I don't think it's going to fall over anytime soon. Thanks for your input.

dante2 said:
This is my first year with a wood stove (englander 13nc) and I hope to have it up and running this weekend. I have to store my wood for next year somewhere and I have an old metal storage shed without doors standing empty. Would this make a good place for wood storage? If not, what would be the best way to modify it for wood storage? This shed has withstood some pretty strong winds here and I don't think it's going to fall over anytime soon. Thanks for your input.
I don't know why your shed wouldn't work until you build something later? It all depends on the winds and if your roof is leak proof.

The main thing in my opinion is keeping it somewhat dry and letting the wind get to it as much as possible.

Shipper

Dante2,

Shipper is right. Use the shed you have for now. Keep the rain leakage out, as it will be harder to season your wood properly. It is important to have air flow circulation, so moisture will not be trapped.

You are on the right track toward improving your wood storage methods. Keep going.

Dante,

Another thought. Since your shed does not have doors, try hanging a tarp at the entrance to keep the snow and rain out. It will still permit some air circulation. Lift the tarp or tie it aside during dry days without precipitation.

You didn't mention whether or not it has a floor of some sort. It's important to keep the firewood from direct ground contact. If there's a floor in the shed, problem solved (so long as it'll handle the weight). If not, then pallets, or P.T. 4"x4"'s, or whatever will work. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.