Wood Shelter/Canopy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Draughts15

Dec 23, 2020
Upper Midwest
My apologies if this has been covered but I'm trying to figure out a wood shed. I was considering building my own but my busy schedule is getting in the way and lumber is spendy. I'm wondering if anyone has used a heavy duty type car canopy/tent? If so, how did it hold up? I've been searching and found some similar to the below. I know there are some cheap ones but I've sound some that appear to be more heavy duty. Ideally I would like all four sides to roll up and then roll a couple down during the winter. These could be more cost effective than building a lumber shed if they can hold up.

SmartSelect_20220430-161853_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20220430-161837_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20220430-161827_Gallery.jpg

We used to have one. We had to anchor the corners with ground anchors and guy wires. It lasted 2 years and was then taken down by snow. You see them crushed all the time where you get snow.

Better off with a post frame shelter.

Reactions: JamesGuido
I saw pics on this site of ibc totes with the liquid containers cut diagonally and placed in top as roofs.

If you get a good one like Shelter Logic and anchor it correctly, it will last for years. The sides should stay up until winter. You want as much air circulation through the stacks as possible.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Unless you do not want to look at the wood there are other simpler options. I just use scrap wood but the covers could be made a lot neater. These are my drying stacks for 1 to 2 years, prior to winter I move them toa 2 cord woodshed.

top cover.JPG
P6080263.JPG

Reactions: Dan Freeman
You could get a inexpensive shelter as a temporary storage and start seasoning your wood. Maybe next year when you have time start to build a more permanent structure and fill it with wood. This past fall I finished up a storage area that I started last spring. Tiok me 5 months to put it together. I worked on it when I had time here and there. You might consider the same. When it was done it was worrh every minute

20210926_105827.jpg

I’m looking at a Shelter Logic but with a steel roof. 14x21 or so. I want my drying firewood and 3ph tractor attachments to go under cover in it.
I was going to go with 6x6 hemlock timbers and build something nice but 2 ,4x8x18 high raised beds were over 600 bucks plus Timberlocs. I’m not spending that kind of money plus my time to build a wood
I’ll hide the SL around the corner out of sight. Thinking of attaching some boards to the walls but I want mostly open sides.

I'm a bit short on time as well, and want a roof over my wood SOON. Similar to what Bad LP is talking.... I ordered a setup from Menards....Versatube steel frame, and then Menards steel roofing. Seems easy/quick to put together. I'll know after Memorial day weekend how it goes.

1901636-12x9x6_ATVOutOfScene.jpg

I’m looking at a Shelter Logic but with a steel roof. 14x21 or so. I want my drying firewood and 3ph tractor attachments to go under cover in it.
I was going to go with 6x6 hemlock timbers and build something nice but 2 ,4x8x18 high raised beds were over 600 bucks plus Timberlocs. I’m not spending that kind of money plus my time to build a wood
I’ll hide the SL around the corner out of sight. Thinking of attaching some boards to the walls but I want mostly open sides.
Cardboard boxes wrapped with chicken wire can work for cheap raised beds.

I had one for 3 seasons, it was marry poppins time during a thunderstorm then the sun slowly ate the canvas top and it became shredded and junk.

I'm a bit short on time as well, and want a roof over my wood SOON. Similar to what Bad LP is talking.... I ordered a setup from Menards....Versatube steel frame, and then Menards steel roofing. Seems easy/quick to put together. I'll know after Memorial day weekend how it goes.

View attachment 295352
Those roof panels will not allow and snow to slide off.

Cardboard boxes wrapped with chicken wire can work for cheap raised beds.
I’m not looking to go that cheap not forgetting if I had to look at the ugly every day from the house I’d cut my eyes out.

I’m in a similar position. Short on time. Not wanting to waste money. Tarps are cheap will last two seasons. So I keep stacking without a shed. One day!