Wood species ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foreat8705

Mar 13, 2015
Chester springs, PA
OK guys....

Need some help with this one as I just picked up a few free loads this weekend. I have my thoughts as to what it might be but being a newbie wanted to get some expert opinion. I won't provide my opinion on how it split weight ect. so I don't bias anyone's opinion.

Let me know your thoughts as to what kinda wood I got here; thanks guys!

IMG_2849.JPG IMG_2850.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, would have never thought pime and would be quite suprised if that's what it was! (Doesn't smell like it)

For some additional insights, the rounds were quite large (roughy 24-32" rounds). I had to cut them into 3rds just to load them. It cut similar to hard wood, seemed very dense, but spit up easy and fairly clean with log splitter. Wood doesn't seem to have a distinct identifiable smell and seems to have been standing dead/ fairly dry for a while.

Last but not least I reside in south eastern, PA.

Hope this helps & thanks again!

I think silver maple.

Reactions: midwestcoast
The wood looks maple to me and Im not familiar with silver maple so I cant say Silver maple. But It doesnt look like Red or sugar maple, at least the bark doesnt.
So...like a multiple guess test...I'll just say...Silver by process of elimination on the other choices.
The wood looks like hard maple but I would be extremely surprised if it was.

Well I got my glasses on now. Not pine. I'd go with maple of some variety too. Definitely not red but don't know what.

Reactions: webby3650
Thanks gents!! I was leaning towards a soft maple and your experience sounds like confimation.

The wood split clean & easy a weighed 'slightly' less then the red oak I split along with it.

Sounds like I'll be stacking it in the spring & fall piles.

Soft Maple for sure.

free is free. i have a bunch of that type here in the yard. silver maple

Good for kindling.
spring and fall months
Yep, it's OK if you just need a short chill-buster fire. The softer woods are also good for cold starts, or when you don't have a lot of coals. It'll take off quick to get the stove up to temp, so I'll load a couple splits in front of some longer-lasting woods that are slower to start.

Silver Maple. I have too much of it. It serves a purpose. Burns very hot, but fairly quickly. I burn it in the evenings in Nov and Dec, then either let it burn out or put in some Ash or Cherry before bed, depending on the temp. Take it. It will help you save your higher quality wood. Every burner needs a myriad of woods with different BTUs, IMO.

I'm still looking for a species of wood I hate...

Boxelder.

I like box elder. Burn tons of it every year. What is good about it? It dries quick once split. Definitely not one of my favorites, but I don't hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.