Wood Storage Ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Draughts15

Dec 23, 2020
Upper Midwest
Hello all,

I'm new to this part of the site. Will be purchasing a wood stove and wood soon. End goal is to process my own but will purchase some kiln dried wood this spring until my processed wood is ready to go in two winters. I'm on 10 acres but my yard space is a little limited so wanted my wood storage area out in the woods a little bit (not far from my entrance). Would a storage type tent/carport work? I was thinking of lifting the sides and ends to allow for more airflow dyring the warmer/dry months and closing it up in the winter. I'm in Northern Minnesota if that helps with your answer. Something similar to the attached. Thanks for any help.

SmartSelect_20210316-174621_Samsung Internet.jpg

Anything where your wood will be off the ground (!) and out of the rain will work. Add sun and wind (walls up/down) and, it'll be even better.

So, yes, this may work - if you find a way to keep the wood off the ground.

Snow load will destroy that structure. If possible get something with a ridged roof.

Reactions: stoveliker