Wood Storage in the house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
I'm new to wood burning this year and have been thinking about what to put a day or two's worth of wood in, in the family room near the stove. I have been thinking about building a storage bin or buying a pre-made cabinet to keep wood in near the stove. I even figured I could put wheels under it (hidden of course so it looks more like furniture than an ugly box on wheels) so I could wheel it to the door to fill up. Thought I would ask what others do so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Any thoughts or pictures of what you guys use is appreciated. Thanks - Eric

Well the wood game can be dirty. I have 2 sons that drag in the wood and stack it in two log holders from the hearth store.I keep 20 CF of wood in the house. I like to get the wood dry and warm before burning it. If it going to snow i will stack a pile between the log holders.

Search around a bit this topic has been discussed but the short answer is lots of people have different and varied ways and opinions on the subject. Here's my "indoor" wood storage at my vacation home (about .2 cord). At my regular address I use two large wicker baskets which gives me about a day.

Front:
IMG_0751.jpg

Back:
IMG_0755.jpg

I keep wood (moved from the woodshed) under roof outside both the front and back doors. From these I move it as needed into the living room and load up an old copper wash tub (hidden behind the kindling bucket to the left of the stove in the photo). I'd guess this old tub has a capacity of about 15 gallons or so. I fill it with splits standing on end, then lay a bunch more across the top. Depending on the weather, I might need to replenish this tub each morning or every other morning (softwood...I burn a lot). Keeps the debris fairly well contained, but there's always gonna be some "mess" from burning wood. Rick

Attachments

• stovecat.jpg
    stovecat.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 588
Thanks. A follow up question for a newbie is about how many average size splits will i go through in a day. I realize it depends on lots of factors but give me a best guess. Thanks

Once upon a time, nearly everyone who burned wood had a wood box near the kitchen stove and the stove in the parlor. These were simple rectangular boxes with a hinged lid (using a piano type hinge) sometimes with a bit of upholstery on the top to make a convenient seat. They were made in any size to fit the available area. The one feature they all had in common was that they were bottomless. This made sweeping up the inevitable dirt and debris much, much easier.

Roxburyeric said:
Thanks. A follow up question for a newbie is about how many average size splits will i go through in a day. I realize it depends on lots of factors but give me a best guess. Thanks

The amount appearing in velvetfoot's pic seems about right for me. You have to develop a routine for how your wood comes into the house and how you perform your clean up around your stove. Some people are "slobs" and some are "neat freaks", I'm probably closer to a "neat freak" (although I haven't reached Felix Ungar status yet). I picked my wood baskets because of the fact that they had bottoms that trapped allot of the crumbs that came off of the wood. I also have some plastic milk crates that I carry wood in with that have cardboard liners in them again to contain the crumbs and bark bits and pieces that come with firewood.

Here's a Link to Crate & Barrel showing the type of baskets I'm reffering to.

I use a standard wood ring that lasts one day. I being wood in each evening after I load the stove for the night. Works out well. I have a canvas wood carrier so it really keeps the mess to a minimum while carrying through the house. All of my wood is stacked under cover on my screen patio (with roof) so its never wet etc.

I have an LL Bean wood rack that I keep in the basement. During the 24/7 burning months it will last about a week. I keep maybe 10-12 splits up next to the stove for easy access. This year I'd like to get a small wood box to keep those in though (less mess).

sawdustburners said:
http://www.wbfowler.com/en/woodwaiter/about-woodwaiter

Looks like just the thing for catskill's vacation home. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.