Wood Stove Features

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
I am looking into a wood stove with the following main features, in order of importance.

1 - Do not have to shut it down to clean the ashes out
("The current stove I have Drolet Adirondack has to be shut down every 24-36 hours for clean-out)
2 - Alternative ways to load besides front door
3 - Large Capacity Wood Box - 3 cu feet+
4 - Large Heating Capacity 2000+
5 - Secondary Burn option without having to replace it every few years

Would be good to have
6 - Cooking option?

Since there are so many different manufactures of wood stoves out there with countless models it is all but impossible to research them all especially since the manufactures hide all there options in there down-loadable manuals or brochures. The only stove I have found so far that matches my criteria are the Harman Stoves TL-200, TL-300, Oakwood. But I am a little hesitant on getting one do to there recent financial issues.

Does anyone know of another manufacture that makes a comparable stove?

Thanks in advance...

There is no perfect stove when it comes to getting rid of the ashes. The VC line has a good system for that but if you want one of them, you have to go with the CAT stove the NC is NG.
The Pacific Energy Aldera is a nice unit, as is the Quadra Fire Isle Royale and Jotuls.
Take a look at Hearthstone also.
These are more expensive units but YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR......

1: I have never shut a stove down to clean out ashes just shovel them out in the morning before reloading save as much of the coals as you can
2: not too many out their that offer more than just through the door loading
3: you will be looking at the P.E. summit 3 cubic feet , Englander 30 3.5 cubic feet , etc
4: any stove that has a 3+ cubic foot firebox to my knowledge will be rated at 2,000+ sq ft
5: P.E. offers a lifetime warranty on their secondary burn, firebox etc.
6: most stoves offer a cooking surface I know the P.E. summit and Englander 30 do

Jotul Fireview, Quadrafire Isle Royale, PE Summit or Alderlea T6 (with ashbin) have these requirements covered.

Quad Isle Royal.

Ash grate / Ashpan
Front and Top loading
Its Big
Lifetime warranty SS secondary burn tubes
Griddle cook-top

Check out the Hearthstone Mansfield. I have their Phoenix, smaller and cheaper but vaguely similar, am happy with that.

1 - Do not have to shut it down to clean the ashes out
It has an ash grate and separate ash drawer, as does ours, but we just empty it when we go away for a long time or every week to 10 days. We find the ash grate system impractical, easier to just shovel the stuff out, the system on the Mansfield might be better but I don't know.
Why are you want that? The Heritage has a side door, but a 2.3 cu ft firebox
3 - Large Capacity Wood Box - 3 cu feet+
Mansfield has 3.2 cu ft firebox
4 - Large Heating Capacity 2000+
Says up to 2500+ sq ft, I believe that since our Phoenix does well with almost 2000 sq ft
5 - Secondary Burn option without having to replace it every few years
Has a good long warranty. On our stove the secondary burn happens very quickly once the stove is warmed up, and being soapstone it stays warmed up.
6 - Cooking option?
Almost any stove with a flat top can do some cooking, such as simmering soups and stews, heating water, etc.

Thanks, for all your suggestions.
I was looking into the Harman TL 200 or 300 models, but after looking at VC Defient NC, the Quad ISLE Royale, and the Jøtul F 600 I am thinking that Cast Iron is the way to go.

I will be researching these stoves through the comments and ratings section, and I will report back once the decision is made.

Thanks again :)

off the topic, other than you have to shut stove down to clean out ashes how does your stove perform,,, likes and dislikes

Some Like It Hot said:
Why are you want that? The Heritage has a side door, but a 2.3 cu ft firebox

I grew up in a house with an old Resolute, (top and front load) we only ever used the front to light the fire. Now with the front only morso, I can tell you that front loaders are messy, spilling ash with almost every open of the door.

The Dutchwest stoves have front and side loading doors and a grate and ash pan and door. Ashes filter through the grate into the pan and are removed with a minimum of dust. A very worth while feature to have, as is a side loading door. Less "splashing: out of ashes when loading, a much cleaner method of loading and ash removal as compared to a Drolet,which I had before the Dutchwest.
But the non cat secondary burn system is not getting good mark from folks here on the forum.

If you go for one of those cast stoves make sure you get either a CAT stove or one with secondary burn tubes (Jotul like). The downdraft stoves with refractory secondary burn are not recommended.

Since I am a newbie to this new technology stuff Non-Cat, downdraft, rods, Cat "How about dogs?" :)
I need some further explanation.

From what I read is with a Cat stove you need to replace it every few years and it requires cleaning every month or so, also burning non-recommended stuff like colored paper, cardboard, paper with colored ink (which newspaper now-a-days doesn't use colored ink) etc... it could foul the catalyst and cause poor performance thus requiring replacement.

For Non-Cats, how can you tell if it is using downdraft technology or something else?
Does the Quadra Fire IsleRoyal use downdraft?
How about the MORS0 3610?

I am confused :-S

Thanks...

The Isle Royale uses side draft (according to Jon Gulland). While seemingly similar to the VC Encore NC, Harman Oakwood and Lopi Leyden design, besides being a larger stove, it's different. It appears to be much more draft tolerant. While we've had glowing reports in the most positive sense, we've had no overheating or glowing red cast iron reports.

Avalon Olympic

BeGreen said:
The Isle Royale uses side draft (according to Jon Gulland). While seemingly similar to the VC Encore NC, Harman Oakwood and Lopi Leyden design, besides being a larger stove, it's different. It appears to be much more draft tolerant. While we've had glowing reports in the most positive sense, we've had no overheating or glowing red cast iron reports.

Side draft? Its the same damned setup as every other Quad unit currently sold. Tubes up top and a baffle board. Nothing "side" about it. Only diff is the baffle can rotate up with a lever so you can use the top load door.

jtp10181 said:
BeGreen said:

Side draft? Its the same damned setup as every other Quad unit currently sold. Tubes up top and a baffle board. Nothing "side" about it. Only diff is the baffle can rotate up with a lever so you can use the top load door.

Yeah, I think Gulland is a little off base with that. Every current Quad stove uses more or less the exact same combustion technology. Nothing different, with the except of the pivoting baffle on the Isle Royale.

If I was you, I'd seriously consider the Dutchwest Catalytic line. I LOVE the look, they work well and have side loading and an ash pan. If I can get a good deal on one, I'd have one in a second, assuming of course, I didn't work for a stove manufacturer. (Which unfortunately no longer makes catalytic stoves.)

Corie, what the heck is it with the cat stoves that causes manufacturers to phase them out? They are so effective, easy to operate and control, burn most any wood thoroughly, very clean burning, just plain awesome stove systems to run yet rumor has it here yet another stove manufacturer, VC now is getting ready to eliminate them. What's the scoop?

jpl1nh said:
Corie, what the heck is it with the cat stoves that causes manufacturers to phase them out? They are so effective, easy to operate and control, burn most any wood thoroughly, very clean burning, just plain awesome stove systems to run yet rumor has it here yet another stove manufacturer, VC now is getting ready to eliminate them. What's the scoop?

It's called free market
I'm guessing that more people are buying non cat stoves
Since they are discontinuing cats I'm assuming that it is large margin so it is just not cost effective to build cats.

Perhaps I can simplify this for you. If you want a VC stove, get the CAT because the NC is far too labor intensive and requires a lot of watching/futzing with to get it right. Even when it is right you will find yourself checking to make sure. The Harman and Lopi that have a ceramic fireback and the rectangular opening at the bottom are the same.
The Isle Royale uses burn tubes and the Pacific Energy a baffle that works similarly and very well. Most other EPA stoves are using burn tubes which seem to be very effective.
Cleaning ashes isn't fun, its work. And, it is the one redeeming value of VC. But, the rest of the field work better so my opinion is you are better off dealing with cleaning ashes on stoves that work fine and give you good heat value from wood burned.
Don't forget to look at the PE Aldera products.
My suggestion is that you identify all the dealers of these various products in your area and go to look at them. Don't stop when you think you have found the "one". Look at them all and then you will know you did the research. When you know what you actually love, come back to the forum and let's discuss that one specifically.

If manufactures are starting to discontinue there cat lines, how can you get a replacement cat when it goes bad?

And how much do they cost to replace?

And is it easy to replace?

So far, yes you can get a CAT, and they aren't that hard (not easy) to replace.
I'd say the trend is toward non-CAT stoves (like everyone has said). I would not consider a CFM (VC/DW) except for CAT.
BUT, I personally decided that the looks weren't worth the trip and went with a secondary burn tube stove.
So that is what I would recommend; then the trip to look at them all in my last post.

jtp10181 said:

My bad, thanks for catching that. I thought it was more conventional, but after a long back and forth discussion a couple years ago with Elk I bought his argument that it was a downdraft. Now, after revisiting the diagrams I see that I was not understanding that the rear air box is just a duct. :red: Sorry for the misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.