wood stove for new 1500 sqft house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You must have a fairly high heat load, if the Princess just couldn’t keep up. Clearly much more than the OP‘s expected heat load in a well-insulated new 1600 sq.ft. house in Virginia, for which I was recommending the BK.
Yes and I would say that is not a bad recommendation for the op. The problem both begreen and my self have is with your blanket statements about bk vs others.

One stove and or stove brand is not superior to the other. Different stoves are a better fit than others for that specific circumstance. In some cases it is looks that is the first priority. In that case the F500 might easily win as a superior solution. There are several other circumstances that make one stove or another a better choice. Often this means a non-cat stove for the user, as the market shows.

I will restate for the house rules for those with short recall:
It is against the Forum Rules to spend endless threads promoting a certain brand or product, even if you don't financially benefit from it.

OK, I'll fill in for @BrotherBart

To the OP. You are in Va. Have you thought about an Englander 30?

• Wow
Reactions: bholler and Ashful
I'm not sure if they are still sold after next week Dix. It's still not listed on the 2020 compliant list. The 50 SSW01 is listed and would work.

Yes and I would say that is not a bad recommendation for the op. The problem both begreen and my self have is with your blanket statements about bk vs others.
I agree, but can you show me where in this thread I made a blanket statement about BK vs. others? I didn’t intentionally do that, and can’t find where I did.

The OP is actually the one who brought up the BK as one of two options. It's a good choice in my opinion and in my experience.

There are some things that BK stoves can do that NO other stove can do. It is a unique tool in the toolbox.

I had better shut my mouth before I get accused of spewing fanboy drivel!

Reactions: Ashful
The OP is actually the one who brought up the BK as one of two options. It's a good choice in my opinion and in my experience.

There are some things that BK stoves can do that NO other stove can do. It is a unique tool in the toolbox.

I had better shut my mouth before I get accused of spewing fanboy drivel!
Ok but my concern is heating my house not competing for longest burn. In that regard I simply am not that impressed

Ok but my concern is heating my house not competing for longest burn. In that regard I simply am not that impressed

This thread is not about you Karen. You live in a totally different climate in a much different home than the man asking the question.

Maybe it would help you if instead of thinking of this specification as the longest possible burn, think about is as the widest range of available burn rates hooked to a large fuel tank. Being able to match your home's heat loss with one of those burn rates results in steady temperatures and high comfort.

Let's try to help the OP. The OP could certainly heat his home with several different stoves from several different companies but he's asking for our opinions about a few specific options based on our experiences.

Reactions: Ashful
I understand that, but the OP has a much lower heat demand than you, and specifically stated long burn time was a major factor in their selection criteria.

was a time when the Bk Princess was available in a cat or non cat configuration. Dealer is important particularly with some stoves like the imports and installs. In general the cat stoves enjoy slightly longer burn times. me i am an Englander fan NC 30 my 2nd one as I had installed one previously in another home both being 2000 sq ft plus. Now there is a night and day différance between the 2 homes as my current place is 2200 sq ft kind of a semi split ranch 6" side walls pretty much built about what I would expect is currently going on but a 90's build and the 30 does just fine 99% of the time and I am gone 12-14 hours per day ( it gets considerably colder here in WI ) . I have 30 ft stainless insulated flue so looking at that cost and the cost of some of the other stoves I went back to the 30 as that was where my wallet was at. You can always build a smaller fire in a bigger stove- I would stick with a stove in the 3 cu ft class whatever make and style ( of course style is sometimes dictated by the significant other) Hearth & bricked wall with what the op described makes a nice show case -it also acts as a passive accumulator of heat that when the stove starts cycling down starts releasing said heat back into the structure in effect increasing your comfort time. Stone / brick flue still has to be insulated for the new stoves. so it is redundant vs just the piping is concerned- depends on wallet and what look you want inside the living quarters ( again you may be over ridden by....)

Reactions: bholler
I understand that, but the OP has a much lower heat demand than you, and specifically stated long burn time was a major factor in their selection criteria.
Well no they stated burning overnight was a major criteria. That can easily be done by any of the stoves they mentioned.