Wood stove hearth build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doc C

Minister of Fire
Jul 26, 2017
Bonner County Idaho
I am going to document my hearth build here. Maybe one day it will give people an idea of what they want to do or more importantly give them the confidence they can do it themselves!

I am not a construction person. I have helped build 2 houses for people in the family and remodeled our house. That is the extent of my knowledge. Which is not a whole lot.

If you want to see what led me to deciding to rebuild my hearth check out this thread link.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what’s-wrong-with-this-picture.163705/

Last edited:
Demo phase!
DCED2C9A-620F-411A-9920-7CD9EAFC4DD0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I got a little carried away with demo. We wanted to replace all the flagstone in the living room and get rid of an old white planter made out of bricks that screams 1973!
443B8BC8-31A6-4989-BC13-C47F2731CB46.jpeg

One thing I always struggle with is cutting angles. I don't know why. It's so simple especially in this case with cutting 22.5 degree angles. My saw even has a setting for that angle marked on it.

One trick a friend showed me several years ago was to use card board and cut the angle in the cardboard and then transfer it to the wood.

I made the layout of the hearth slightly bigger then what is required because I wanted to have angled corners and still meet the minimum size.
2D6E6447-E57C-4810-88EB-063AE717129A.jpeg

You're dangerous with a crowbar. ;lol

Reactions: Doc C
FE49BBD1-6159-4C5E-A851-8563375A1837.jpeg
Just about done framing. Made sure everything was square and symmetrical within 1/8" so when I tile it things should go smooth.

Also in our area we have to have outside air fed to the stove area. I drilled multiple holes near where the vent will go.

Also someone brought up the idea of using outside air to cool the hearth as well which is why there are a few holes in the front of the hearth in the subfloor and holes in the framing to allow the air to be routed through to help cool things

Probably not needed but I can't see the harm in it either.

I'm going to cover the holes with aluminum screen to keep critters out.

Last edited:
Added 3/4" plywood to the top for strength.

Next comes 5 layers of Durock Next Gen cement board in order to get just below R2 that I need for the Englander 13.

The final tile on top and thin set should get me above R2 that I need.
5008AFD9-8D92-488C-AEC5-383E6EC52F60.jpeg

Next comes 5 layers of Durock Next Gen cement board in order to get just below R2 that I need for the Englander 13.

View attachment 201675
Did you confirm that the tile would add enough r value? I was thinking you would do flagstone again which I know would. Just want to make sure you checked

You probably already know this, when building up the layers, stagger the seams.

Yeah and even that is a little short on r value.

If I calculated correctly 5 layers at. .39 r value is 1.95 plus slate will get me. .10 r value for a total 2.05 r value NOT including about 1/2" of thinset which should be around . 10 r value for a total of 2.15 roughly....give or take a small amount.

Reactions: bholler
Did you confirm that the tile would add enough r value? I was thinking you would do flagstone again which I know would. Just want to make sure you checked

The wife is leaning towards slate which is listed at enough to get me there. If I go with another tile I will definately make sure.

Reactions: bholler
If I calculated correctly 5 layers at. .39 r value is 1.95 plus slate will get me. .10 r value for a total 2.05 r value NOT including about 1/2" of thinset which should be around . 10 r value for a total of 2.15 roughly....give or take a small amount.
Good I was pretty sure you would have just wanted to check

Won't take much. It only needs an additional R=.05. I think the thinset + tile will have it covered. 1/4" ceramic tile is something like R=.0 2 so it's very close. Slate's .10 /inch so 1/2" would work.

Won't take much. It only needs an additional R=.05. I think the thinset + tile will have it covered. 1/4" ceramic tile is something like R=.0 2 so it's very close. Slate's .10 /inch so 1/2" would work.
Yeah I know most tile will work just wanted to be sure

This is after the first layer of Next Gen cement board.

I used a mix of the special screws designed for cement board and ring shank nails.

4 more layers, and then I will trim out all the way around and post more pics.

Learned a very valuable lesson! Make sure you have all your tools out from under the platform before you cover it!!

My favorite hammer might still be under there.
F4FC7F55-86FB-4BC0-9727-AA3CFF564593.jpeg

This is after the first layer of Next Gen cement board.

I used a mix of the special screws designed for cement board and ring shank nails.

4 more layers, and then I will trim out all the way around and post more pics.

Learned a very valuable lesson! Make sure you have all your tools out from under the platform before you cover it!!

My favorite hammer might still be under there. View attachment 201684
Is that next gen? It looks like regular cement board to me

Is that next gen? It looks like regular cement board to me

It better be! It said next gen on the tag at home depot and the lumber guy told me that's all they sell now is next Gen. I'll post a pic of the lable

0D65202C-1CA3-4D2B-8FC3-ED42E0569027.jpeg

Is there any possible way it's next gen? The manager at home depot is claiming it is?

He is saying he's going to call the manufacturer tomorrow and verify it. The sku is next Gen sku listed on the lable.

I believe you guys over some idiot at home depot but just want to be 100% sure before I raise any more he'll!

Is there any possible way it's next gen? The manager at home depot is claiming it is?

He is saying he's going to call the manufacturer tomorrow and verify it. The sku is next Gen sku listed on the lable.

I believe you guys over some idiot at home depot but just want to be 100% sure before I raise any more he'll!

Yes, that's next gen. It says right on it, it has perlite in it. It'll be fine.