Wood stove hearth build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I believe you guys over some idiot at home depot but just want to be 100% sure before I raise any more he'll!

If you want to prove it, just weigh it on your bathroom scale. 1/2" 3x5 should be about 38 lbs. The old stuff would be closer to 50 lbs.

Yes, that's next gen. It says right on it, it has perlite in it. It'll be fine.

That's the answer I was hoping for. So only next gen has perlite?

I wonder why they don't lable it next gen anymore?

That's the answer I was hoping for. So only next gen has perlite?

I wonder why they don't lable it next gen anymore?

I don't think they make the regular stuff anymore. I know the new stuff has a lot more perlite, that's why it weighs less. You don't have a bathroom scale? Because the weight is not even close. If it's 36-38 lbs. it'll be rated at R-.39. If it's around 50 lbs. you got the old stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc C
Interesting. Durock NexGen used to have the product name in big letters right across the face of the board. Did the board feel much lighter than the old cement board that you tore up?

Last edited:
Durock NexGen used to have it in big letters right across the face of the board. Did the board feel much lighter than the old cement board that you tore up?

I just weighed it. It was 34 pounds.

You're good to go. R=.39.

OH thank the powers that be and you guys! I was about to tear it up!

This is good information for people to know. That's crazy they would not want to advertise that you are buying the better stuff.

This is a pretty new development. Thanks for the heads up. Here is how the pallet is advertised on Home Depot. Note labeling.
durock-backer-board-172965-64_1000.jpg

Interesting. Durock NexGen used to have the product name in big letters right across the face of the board. Did the board feel much lighter than the old cement board that you tore up? Here is how the pallet should look.
View attachment 201696

We even looked at the bulk package like the picture you posted and it did not say next gen on it anywhere. Literally the only place that had it was the home depot made tag that hangs from the bunk that this stuff sits in.

OH thank the powers that be and you guys! I was about to tear it up!

This is good information for people to know. That's crazy they would not want to advertise that you are buying the better stuff.

A lot of people prefer the old stuff, it's a bit more stiff for use across studs when tiling. For R value the new stuff is better.

Lowes is still showing NexGen labeled sheets too.
081099000928.jpg

Look up next gen it doesn't look like that and it clearly says next gen

That's because it's an old photo. You need to read the product label, appearance is just appearance.
The last time I was at the store the label said NexGen. Not disagreeing but this is recent change. Looks like old inventory is finally getting exhausted.

The last time I was at the store the label said NexGen. Not disagreeing but this is recent change.
I bought some last week and it said next gen and it didn't look like regular cement board

I bought some last week and it said next gen and it didn't look like regular cement board
Could be old inventory is finally running out and this is the only Durock now.

Ok good to know is it still the same r value even though it looks different?

Yes, R=.39 for 1/2" and R=.49 for 5/8". The weight is a direct giveaway.

Ok good to know is it still the same r value even though it looks different?

Guys, don't freak out, this is a simple to understand. For a few years USG sold both products side by side. After their customers became accustomed to the new product and had proven itself in the marketplace, they discontinued the old product. Now they are phasing out the "Next Gen" name because it's no longer new. It's just Durock.

Guys, don't freak out, this is a simple to understand. For a few years USG sold both products side by side. After their customers became accustomed to the new product and had proven itself in the marketplace, they discontinued the old product. Now they are phasing out the "Next Gen" name because it's no longer new. It's just Durock.
Ok but why doesn't it look like the old next gen? I could not care less about the name I just really need to know that the new stuff has the same r value. I guess I will be calling usg tomorrow to find out. I hope it is the same. It just doesn't look it to me but I could be totally wrong. It really isn't that I doubt you but if I am going to use something in a customers house I need to know for sure.

No freak out, just a strong need to know while there is still inventory of both products on the market. Old inventory probably still remains at smaller lumber centers around the country. The insulation difference in Doc's case would have been notable if we assumed one labeling. Five sheets of the original Durock would only be R=1.35. Apparently this is still in stock in some areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc C and bholler
No freak out, just a strong need to know while there is still inventory of both products on the market. Old inventory probably still remains at smaller lumber centers around the country. The insulation difference in Doc's case would have been notable if we assumed one labeling. Five sheets of the original Durock would only be R=1.35.

He already proved it meets the R.39 spec when he weighed it! 36 lbs. That's the new stuff. End of story.

He already proved it meets the R.39 spec when he weighed it! 36 lbs. That's the new stuff. End of story.
This is not about just this install. There will be a lot more this winter.

PS: the weight was 34#.

Last edited:
No he proved what it weighed. For me to be comfortable installing a product in someones house i need to know. I need to have a new msds sheet on it. The weight doesn't tell me r value for sure. Yes I think it probably is the same. But probably isn't good enough when people are trusting me with their lives.

Last edited: