Wood stove hearth build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
looking good. I love the slate look. We did it in our nook a few years ago!

Do you have access to the bottom of this area? maybe you could get your hammer from below and then brace the subfloor back in. i thought i lost my favorite hammer for about 2 years... then I looked in a box of stuff I hadn't unpacked and there it was! Right next to my headlamp and my trusty leatherman I had been looking for!

That's a good idea. Now if I was 100% certain it was in there and not some other random place I forgot I left it...

That's a good idea. Now if I was 100% certain it was in there and not some other random place I forgot I left it...
if you didnt' put so much durarock on there, you could have made it like a little warming drawer :)

Reactions: Doc C
if you didnt' put so much durarock on there, you could have made it like a little warming drawer :)

So much Durock. I think I used less in my master bath remodel then my hearth!

Maybe you could locate it with a metal detector or a very strong magnet? Wondering if pounding on the floor/ceiling underneath the hearth might cause it to bounce which you might hear.

Maybe you could locate it with a metal detector or a very strong magnet? Wondering if pounding on the floor/ceiling underneath the hearth might cause it to bounce which you might hear.

I have over 2" of subfloor. Might need a hammer to pound on the subfloor to find my hammer!

I have over 2" of subfloor. Might need a hammer to pound on the subfloor to find my hammer!

i feel like you are a person that is of the belief that there is no such thing as "building it too strong"

Reactions: Doc C
i feel like you are a person that is of the belief that there is no such thing as "building it too strong"

You should see my covered deck! 2x6" on 12"centers sitting on a doubled up 2x12" beam with metal supports. 2"x6" tongue and groove decking.

Stout is an understatement.

Got the stove hooked up and running! Going to finish the trim next week where the slate meets the wood and install the laminate floor.
835083D3-1EF0-4CB1-9841-FE8B55DEB0F1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nelson
You did a great looking job! Love how it turned out and really liked your step by step pictures :)

Thank you. Still waiting on the angle iron to finish the trim. Ordered it awhile back. Also waiting on the rest of the laminate flooring around the hearth. I bought what they had in stock but it was not enough.

I'll post the final pics in the next couple weeks hopefully.

Reactions: Smifty