Wood Stove in Sunroom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Hey All!

Newbie here! I'm looking to have a wood stove installed, and the only good spot I have for it, is in a sunroom off my dining room, that has large (about 4@ 4'x6' windows (fully sealed double pane, and on the other side of the wall is the original brick, that use to be the exterior of the house). It's pretty centrally located. Would this be ok and heat up the house well? Or is the spot not that great with so many windows?

Stove is a regency f2400, rated for 2200 sqf. House is 1800sqf.

Thanks in advance!

Hey All!

Newbie here! I'm looking to have a wood stove installed, and the only good spot I have for it, is in a sunroom off my dining room, that has large (about 4@ 4'x6' windows (fully sealed double pane, and on the other side of the wall is the original brick, that use to be the exterior of the house). It's pretty centrally located. Would this be ok and heat up the house well? Or is the spot not that great with so many windows?

Thanks in advance!
You are probably going to have trouble distributing the heat

Because of the windows? How so, will they "absorb" the heat (or the brick)? I haven't mentioned the layout, but have thought about adding a couple of fans and blowing cold air towards it.

As long as its insulated well it should be fine, you can figure out distributing the heat once its installed.

Because of the windows? How so, will they "absorb" the heat (or the brick)? I haven't mentioned the layout, but have thought about adding a couple of fans and blowing cold air towards it.
Both the brick and the windows are going to suck up heat. And i was assuming it wasnt wide open to the rest of the house because doing that would be difficult with an old brick house

As long as its insulated well it should be fine, you can figure out distributing the heat once its installed.
Or you will have a really hot sunroom and a cold house. There are some locations that just are not good for distribution. I dont know enough about this layout to know one way or another but it sounds like it could be problematic.

I would also go with the 3100. It will give you much more flexibility.

Hmmm, I have an amazing price on a used 2400.

Here is the layout, it's all fairly wide open.

My main concern/question is about the windows, will they really really effect the heat output THAT much?

Attachments

• layout.png
    layout.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 404
Hmmm, I have an amazing price on a used 2400.

Here is the layout, it's all fairly wide open.

My main concern/question is about the windows, will they really really effect the heat output THAT much?
In that case i would try the 2400. I though you were buying new. With that layout it may work fine. But yes the windows will eat up heat. Even the best windows dont have great r value

You get insulated curtains for the windows if that turns out to be a problem.

I have a sunroom and its amazing how fast it gets very cold in there once the sun goes down even though all windows are double pane. Will go to 110 in there on a sunny winter day and heat the 1000Sf adjacent portion of my house but overnight will only stay about 10-15 Degrees above outside temps. So i simply close the insulated steel door at night between the sunroom and living space to keep the sun room from freezing out the house at night. Thats the last place id put my stove.

Reactions: bholler
Sun room means different things, some are really three season due to lack of insulation and some are like the rest of the house but called sun rooms due to the windows. I was under the impression it's a fully insulated 4 season room.

Sun room means different things, some are really three season due to lack of insulation and some are like the rest of the house but called sun rooms due to the windows. I was under the impression it's a fully insulated 4 season room.
Yes but insulated of not a sunroom is going to have lots of windows. And widows have very low r value and little resistance to radiant heat

Yes but insulated of not a sunroom is going to have lots of windows. And widows have very low r value and little resistance to radiant heat
You're right but I think the poster I quoted was thinking a 3 season room, not a 4 season.

Hey All!

Thanks in advance!

The 3 openings going to the main part of the house from the sunroom. Are the openings floor to ceiling or is there a header going across the opening. Also is the sunroom ceiling higher in relation to the door openings. Could you post a picture of sunroom.

You get insulated curtains for the windows if that turns out to be a problem.

Great idea. We have insulated curtains on every window in the house that go up and down on a built in mechanism above the window and they work really really well. The company is still in business and they can be cut to any size (http://www.windowquilt.com).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will only heat the sun room. Probably wont heat the house much at all. Will be nice if you want to sit on the porch with a coffee and watch the snow fall.

Is the room open to the house (no doors, always open) and currently heated?

As mentioned the sun room is a poor spot due to the windows. Window quilts would help but not fix the problem.

There is a reason the energy code flags windows exceeding 25% of the wall space in a building.

My sunroom is insulated on the house side and the 2 end walls with a single 32" insulated steel door entering the living room. The south facing wall is 90% windows. On cold sunny winter days it produces so much heat even with all the heat loss it can go to 120 degrees. The floor temp runs about 150 degrees. If i dont open the door to the house i would kill all the plants. When the sun goes down it cools off fairly quickly. If i were not able to close it off from the main house at night it would give up all the heat it gained during the day and probably much more. My wood stove is on the opposite end of the house, the north or coldest side.

Last edited:

This was my thought as well. I have a dinning room I recently built off my original kitchen. It is pretty much a sun room with it’s large triple double hung widow on one wall, double French glass outside entry door on one side, and two large skylights on the vaulted ceiling. We put a small pellet stove in a corner and it keeps the entire house comfortable. Heat loss doesn’t seem too bad with all the glass, but it was very expensive glass.

My reasoning for not to put a wood stove in the sun room is, its already the hottest part of the house ,every sunny winter day. Getting the heat distributed is the problem to the farthest corners of the north side.

My reasoning for not to put a wood stove in the sun room is, its already the hottest part of the house ,every sunny winter day. Getting the heat distributed is the problem to the farthest corners of the north side.

Our sun/dining room does get plenty of sun during the mid to later day, but it is open enough to let heat move through the house. Ombiance of the flame was a big part of putting the pellet stove in the room, but it has worked out well in tandem with our Jotul 3cb in the family room. The family room, kitchen and dining room are all fully open to each other. The living room as well when I remove that wall next year. One of the pluses of having a true truss roof.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Our sun/dining room does get plenty of sun during the mid to later day, but it is open enough to let heat move through the house. Ombiance of the flame was a big part of putting the pellet stove in the room, but it has worked out well in tandem with our Jotul 3cb in the family room. The family room, kitchen and dining room are all fully open to each other. The living room as well when I remove that wall next year. One of the pluses of having a true truss roof.
An open concept is very wood stove friendly. My own (100 YR Old)home is not very open. Im working on one that is totally open. I hear you about the fire view ,one of my top reasons for the wood stove.