Wood stove insert - faceplate mounting issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MrDubya

Dec 29, 2021
Nashville
Hi all

I am having a wood stove insert installed a a couple weeks. It’s the Ventis HEI 170. The issue we are trying to solve is the faceplate /trim piece that goes around the stove. As you can see from pics below , the stone around the fireplace is not very even so there will be large gaps on the faceplate that look awful. Trying to think of realistic solutions on how to solve this. Grinding the stone down is not an option. Only things I can think of are 1)plugging the gap with some sort of filler material but not sure what, or 2) just leaving the faceplate of and having the stove sit on its own ….but not sure how this would look either…I can’t find a pic of this stove installed without the faceplate.

Anyone one else have similar issue and how did you work around it ?

6194A042-7833-4ADD-8B08-EFEE37F50D26.jpegEBC960F0-2A90-4D0A-A0FD-186515B9764B.jpeg

Well, other than making sure of block off plate, just try it with and without face plate to see how it looks.

Well, other than making sure of block off plate, just try it with and without face plate to see how it looks.
Yes, try it without the surround. The bottom part of the liner can be painted black with high temp paint like Stove Brite flat black if desired. The other alternative is to have a custom surround made that starts inside the fireplace face for a shadowbox look.