Wood Stove insert for pre-fab Majestic fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

isabelfine

Sep 22, 2020
Boston, MA area
Hi there! We have a Majestic pre-fab fireplace which is terribly inefficient and gives my husband asthma. I need to figure out if we can install a clean burning insert into this firebox (I know we need to add a liner and extend the hearth), or if we need to take the whole thing out to install any kind of wood stove? I also need recommendations for someone to work with for figuring this out and implementing it. Thanks in advance!

I did it in my last house. On here you will get a number of people stating that it isn't allowed by code and rightfully so. I ended up getting verbal approval from both the pre-fab and new insert.

The final product looked great, but I had to put such a small stove in that I was never really happy with the heat production.

My recommendation, if an option, is to rip it out and do a woodstove or a real zero clearance fireplace.

Hi there! We have a Majestic pre-fab fireplace which is terribly inefficient and gives my husband asthma. I need to figure out if we can install a clean burning insert into this firebox (I know we need to add a liner and extend the hearth), or if we need to take the whole thing out to install any kind of wood stove? I also need recommendations for someone to work with for figuring this out and implementing it. Thanks in advance!

The only way to know if an insert is allowed in your fireplace is to locate the manual for it and see what it says. Do you have a model number?

I will say to my knowledge there aren't any majestic fireplaces that allow inserts