Wood stove install advice - loft sleeping area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxrobertson

Dec 3, 2008
Va
I am considering installing a wood stove in the loft area of a cabin. The loft is used for sleeping.

The cabin is a converted space of a 24x16 foot garage; the rear 7 foot of the garage was sealed off and is now the lower downstairs of the cabin, making it 7x16 foot. This area is all open up to the ceiling of the top of the building. From this lower area, access is gained to the loft, which is 17x16 foot, and lies above the remaining area of the garage. This area has 4 foot tall walls at the ends and peaks out around 10 ft at the center. The cabin is currently all up to code, as the garage is separated from the living space with fire-rated drywall.

Obviously, there is no room for a stove downstairs due to the small size. I realize wood stoves are not to be installed in "bedrooms", but even though the loft area is used for sleeping; it is completely open and there are no interior walls or dividers. What are your thoughts on installing a stove in this loft area?

Thanks in advance for any advise,

David

Hmmm.....tough one. I think hauling firewood up a flight of stairs to a small loft area is gonna be a PIA. Heat rises, so downstairs is probably gonna be cold. Shouldn't be installed in a bedroom...but you knew that. Your gonna end up with a pretty short stack height, so that could be a problem.

Just my opinion, but I think I might be looking at a nice propane wall heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.