Wood Stove Installation Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnold Ziffel

Hearth Supporter
My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a Morso 2B CLASSIC wood stove for our 13' x 18' "parlor".
Due to the small size of the room we thought we'd install the stove left/right (east-west) instead of the traditional front/back (north/south) layout. Morso states a 7" clearance from stove to REAR WALL and a 26" clearance from stove to SIDE WALL. With the stove installed east- west, does the stove's long side, which would now be parallel with the room wall, become the stove's back for clearance measurement purposes? OR, does the stove's side wall radiate so much more heat then the back-end of the unit that I now must observe a 26" clearance to the rear wall? Thanks for your help.

The back of the stove is always the back of the stove no matter how you orient it. You need 26" of clearance to the side wall... if you just use single wall pipe and no wall shielding. A quick look in/at the manual, I don't see anything allowing you to reduce clearances, but hopefully someone who has done an install of one or more of these will chime in..

good looking stove.

IMHO the side of the stove is still the side of the stove. You just turned the stove so whatever they require, that is what is needed. Just because you turn the stove doesn't change its function. What is traditionally the "side" is always the side, no matter how you place the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.