Wood Stove Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodpush67

May 3, 2023
Lake Tahoe, CA
I am looking to replace a 1960s Preway fireplace with a more efficient wood stove in a cabin in Lake Tahoe, CA. I need information on an appropriate model for an open space in a smallish A-frame home. More than this, I need to know realistic expectations for cost to install. I have received two quotes from local operations and both seem hugely high. What are the considerations if I am going to try and have my contractor install the stove. I will need my chimney pipe replaced and installed through an upstairs crawl space.

Also, any recommendations on where to purchase the stove are appreciated. Is it necessary to buy from a local outlet or is it better to buy somewhere else and have it shipped?

Thank you.

Yes, it will require a complete chimney replacement along with the new stove pipe. Depending on issues and the stove choice, this can sometimes cost more than the stove. A-frame roofs are not that fun to work on due to the steep pitch and they require a lot of chimney pipe in order to meet the 10-3-2 rule unless vented pretty close to the roof peak.

Yes, it will require a complete chimney replacement along with the new stove pipe. Depending on issues and the stove choice, this can sometimes cost more than the stove. A-frame roofs are not that fun to work on due to the steep pitch and they require a lot of chimney pipe in order to meet the 10-3-2 rule unless vented pretty close to the roof peak.
Thanks for the reply. Given that the stoves in question are approximately $2000 and $3000, the price for installation, including chimney replacement, is well over twice that amount. I'm just trying to get an idea if the quote is excessive, and beyond this, if I buy the pieces directly whether a general contractor would be a suitable choice for installation. As to the 10-3-2 rule, it is a metal roof. Not sure if that has any bearing on things. (See attached.)

IMG_8951.jpeg

The metal roof doesn't affect the 10-3-2 rule. That definitely needs replacing. It doesn't look like chimney pipe. It looks more like single-wall stove pipe that someone goobered into the chimney fitting. Figure on a total replacement. Chimney pipe prices like all things in the woodstove industry have gone up much more than inflation in the past year. This will need to be done by a competent installer. Metal roofs need proper flashing. A chimney of that height should also be braced at 5' above the roof. And given the snow loads in that area, it should have a snow diverter (cricket) uphill from the flashing.

Was the price quote for 6" chimney pipe? Can you share what it entails?

The metal roof doesn't affect the 10-3-2 rule. That definitely needs replacing. It doesn't look like chimney pipe. It looks more like single-wall stove pipe that someone goobered into the chimney fitting. Figure on a total replacement. Chimney pipe prices like all things in the woodstove industry have gone up much more than inflation in the past year. This will need to be done by a competent installer. Metal roofs need proper flashing. A chimney of that height should also be braced at 5' above the roof. And given the snow loads in that area, it should have a snow diverter (cricket) uphill from the flashing.

Was the price quote for 6" chimney pipe? Can you share what it entails?

Thanks again for the response. Yes, I was aware that I would be replacing the chimney (which is more that 50 years old.) And also that proper snow bracing would be required for the weather in the area. (The bend in the old chimney is from the record snowfall this year. ) The quote I got was for a 6" chimney pipe and an Osburn stove and is quite detailed. I'd be glad to forward it to you if there is a direct message option (I'm new to this forum.)

I'm not looking to cut corners. It was just that the quote received was substantially higher than any I could find online, including those requiring chimney replacement etc. I can order the same parts that are detailed in the quote. But if I'm paying thousands more than necessary I want to be aware of that, too.

Yes, on closer look I think that is galvanized chimney pipe. I don't think the original chimney lasted, 50 yrs, this looks like a cheaper retrofit and maybe downsized from the original? And I see the cricket now. At first, I thought it was another roofline.

You can post a picture of the quote or send it to me via a DM and I can copy it with any personal info redacted. DM works by clicking on the little envelope icon at the upper right next to your hearth.com name.

You do have unusual snow conditions there. This year a bit more than normal. If it make sense it would be much easier if you can use the same location. The chase is cut between the rafters and a hole in the roof. Replace all the chimney, ceiling box and roof flashing. The existing cricket, is needed and when roof work is done that can be replaced then. So if the current location works, it's an easy replacement of parts. You or your contractor should be able to do this. Did the stove guys who gave you quotes come and see what your doing?

For the stoves your looking at get the manuals (online). With the chimney location known check the stove's clearance to combustables. (wall's). Many cut a piece of cardboard template of the stove. Also, check the hearth requirement. Some just need ember protection, which is easy fire proof stone , tile etc.. Other's need "X R" value hearth. Stove's have different installation requirements You don't want to find them out after you purchased it.

Reactions: Woodpush67
You do have unusual snow conditions there. This year a bit more than normal. If it make sense it would be much easier if you can use the same location. The chase is cut between the rafters and a hole in the roof. Replace all the chimney, ceiling box and roof flashing. The existing cricket, is needed and when roof work is done that can be replaced then. So if the current location works, it's an easy replacement of parts. You or your contractor should be able to do this. Did the stove guys who gave you quotes come and see what your doing?

For the stoves your looking at get the manuals (online). With the chimney location known check the stove's clearance to combustables. (wall's). Many cut a piece of cardboard template of the stove. Also, check the hearth requirement. Some just need ember protection, which is easy fire proof stone , tile etc.. Other's need "X R" value hearth. Stove's have different installation requirements You don't want to find them out after you purchased it.
Thanks for the information. I'm still trying to decide between having my general contractor do the job or using the fireplace company. The advice on this forum has been very helpful.