Wood Stove - No heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nov 21, 2022
Canada
Hello all, just finished installing our first ever wood stove. Out of all of the time I spent doing my research on code and common issues prior to my install, I most certainly didn't expect having this problem.

But my stove seems to put out very little heat and I'm going crazy trying to figure out why?

Stove hardware: Pleasant Hearth Large 2200 with mechanical blower

Wood: Ash measuring 20% center of fresh split

Flue: Double wall

Chimney: Class A 26' from top of stove

House: Bungalow 1500 sq/ft with stove installed in unfinished but insulated basement.

Issues:

1) General lack of heat. Even with a fairly roaring fire, once you get more than 6' or so away you really can't feel any heat in the room. have a chair about 4' away that is literally cold to sit on.

2) Seems to eat wood. I get eating wood if putting out some excellent heat but its only eating wood and not heating very well.

I've tried running damper open, half open, closed etc.

With the door open, there seems to be an incredible amount of heat inside the firebox. But once I close the door, it just doesn't seem to radiate at all out. Even standing 6' away with the blower going I can barely feel any heat. For reference, my Costco radiant heat dish is more powerful at the same distance.

This seems like a ridiculous post but here I am. Did I just somehow pick a poor stove? Am I doing something wrong here?

To me it sounds like your just throwing all your heat up the chimney. The goal to running a modern stove is to get the flue temps hot then start slowly dampering the stove down to keep the heat inside the firebox to burn clean and heat the mass of the stove. Is that how you’re running the stove?

Reactions: VintageGal
Hello all, just finished installing our first ever wood stove. Out of all of the time I spent doing my research on code and common issues prior to my install, I most certainly didn't expect having this problem.

But my stove seems to put out very little heat and I'm going crazy trying to figure out why?

Stove hardware: Pleasant Hearth Large 2200 with mechanical blower

Wood: Ash measuring 20% center of fresh split

Flue: Double wall

Chimney: Class A 26' from top of stove

House: Bungalow 1500 sq/ft with stove installed in unfinished but insulated basement.

Issues:

1) General lack of heat. Even with a fairly roaring fire, once you get more than 6' or so away you really can't feel any heat in the room. have a chair about 4' away that is literally cold to sit on.

2) Seems to eat wood. I get eating wood if putting out some excellent heat but its only eating wood and not heating very well.

I've tried running damper open, half open, closed etc.

With the door open, there seems to be an incredible amount of heat inside the firebox. But once I close the door, it just doesn't seem to radiate at all out. Even standing 6' away with the blower going I can barely feel any heat. For reference, my Costco radiant heat dish is more powerful at the same distance.

This seems like a ridiculous post but here I am. Did I just somehow pick a poor stove? Am I doing something wrong here?
What pipe temps are you seeing? What temp do you start to shut the air back at? Do you have a pipe damper? At 26' you are probably atleast double the specified draft on a very easy breathing stove. My bet is you are sending most of your heat out the chimney because of that

Thank you for your replies. To be frank, I just installed two thermometers. One probe style for my double wall flue and one stove top.

Unfortunately, my roof is steep and needed that final chimney height to clear the height required by code.

This is my first stove and I'm as green as they come. I was just happy that draft didn't seem to be an issue when first lighting, however it seems as it could be problematic in the opposite direction.

Any suggestions on stove top and flue temperate that I can use to get going when I start it back up?

I've researched the forum and everyone has their own opinion of what works.

Also, at what point would you suggest I look at an in line pipe damper?

Much appreciated.

Thank you for your replies. To be frank, I just installed two thermometers. One probe style for my double wall flue and one stove top.

Unfortunately, my roof is steep and needed that final chimney height to clear the height required by code.

This is my first stove and I'm as green as they come. I was just happy that draft didn't seem to be an issue when first lighting, however it seems as it could be problematic in the opposite direction.

Any suggestions on stove top and flue temperate that I can use to get going when I start it back up?

I've researched the forum and everyone has their own opinion of what works.

Also, at what point would you suggest I look at an in line pipe damper?

Much appreciated.
Stove top doesn't mean much just keep that below 800. The pipe thermometer run it up to the top of the normal range then shut back so it drops to the bottom of that range. If it runs up past that and you can't bring it down you probably need a damper