Wood stove placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Linea

Jul 19, 2018
Rough and Ready, CA
I want to put a wood stove in an addition that has the "exterior" back of the brick chimney in it. I was thinking I could use it for the back of the hearth. There is a gas fire place in the other room. The wood stove would be for when we aren't using the gas unit. This would mean the new stove pipe would exit the roof a couple feet away from the existing chimney.

Is there a problem with this?

Other than aesthetics and allowing enough room in between for proper sealing of the flashing, no. It would be good to terminate the wood stove chimney 18-24" higher than the gas vent to avoid smoke downdrafting into the gas fireplace.

Other than the mechanics of it's termination in relation to the exterior height of the masonry chimney, I think it would be a great idea and probably look very nice in the room. I dont believe that heat from the stove will matter in any way. You may be able to position the stove pretty close to what is essentially a non-combustible wall. Maybe you can place the chimney pipe out away from the brick chimney and use a 45 elbow offset on the connector to get the stove close to the brick chimney. Pictures would help.

Other than aesthetics and allowing enough room in between for proper sealing of the flashing, no. It would be good to terminate the wood stove chimney 18-24" higher than the gas vent to avoid smoke downdrafting into the gas fireplace.
Thanks, that's what I needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is downgrading and what causes it?
Downdrafting is when there is negative room pressure pulling air down the chimney. This most often occurs when there is a two flue chimney servicing fireplaces on two levels of the house and the chimney terminations are of equal height. The lower fireplace is more likely to be in a negative pressure zone.