Wood stove size to burn cedar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beno

Feb 26, 2007
Hi there,

I'll build an 1800 sq.ft bungalow, ICF concrete and highly insulated, with concrete floor + ceramic tiles for thermal mass, sun-tempered (Ottawa, Canada). The lot has softwood, mainly cedar. The question is what size of wood stove to choose? Shall I choose a bigger wood stove since I have no hardwood and plan to sleep whole night without fueling the stove?
My options are (my family likes warm rooms):
1. VC DEFIANT (cat, 3.3 cu.ft.)
2. VC ENCORE (cat, 2.1 cu.ft.)
3. Napoleon 1400 (non-cat, 2.25 cu.ft.)
4. Napoleon 1900 (non-cat, 3 cu.ft.)

At this point I'd rather stay away of the VC everburn non-cat. Since I'll burn cedar overnight I suppose I should choose at least 3 cu.ft. wood stove.
Let's take a vote, just answer listing your options, starting with your best choice.
The money is not a criteria (yet :)) but I can choose only between VC and Napoleon.

Thanks in advance,
Beno

This post is in the wrong forum.

Need to post in the Hearth.

I'd want 3 cubic feet min. You are on the right track considering the fuel and probable 24/7 useage during the cold part of the year. Experienced folks say err on the big side.

ATB,
Mike P

Ontario is eastern white cedar like us, you won't make it through the night, I can almost guarantee. Eastern white has one of the lowest energy contents of all available fuel woods in eastern Canada. It is one of the best kindlings available, the oils burn hot and fast and can ignite with only a match if well dried.

I do burn 14" rounds of cedar now and again, the butt trims off logs destined for my sawmill but the cedar logs and lumber is so valuable right now I don't do this much. Even poplar provides more heat and you can but 3 times the volume of poplar with what you get for a load of cedar. The 14" round might last an hour in my pre epa air-tight.

Morso 3610 is worth a look too

Status
Not open for further replies.