Wood stove tragedy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MainePatsFan

Nov 24, 2007
Southern Maine
I happened to see this in my newspaper. So tragic. The stove was just installed?

When you see the picture of the house fully engulfed, it is sadder when you see the pictures when the house was on the market:

Just a reminder to never treat a wood stove like something you can just light up and walk away from.

Not sure why you would put a stove in that little shed to begin with, but I wonder if they will get insurance to even reimburse them because I would guess that couldnt be to code.

That is very sad. I wonder if the stove even had a class A chimney seeing this was a shed.
We had a shed install thread within the past few months. It took some convincing to do it right. We also see more and more tiny house threads which sometimes are no bigger than a shed.

Not sure why you would put a stove in that little shed to begin with, but I wonder if they will get insurance to even reimburse them because I would guess that couldnt be to code.
It's at least partly because so many people are now working remotely, and need an office space away from the house to keep the kids, pets, and/or naked wife out of the zoom meetings. I'd want a stove in my office space if my office space was a shed.

Reactions: SpaceBus
As a fire fighter I constantly think of this kind of stuff all the time, more so when someone is adamant about putting an insert stove into a zero clearance fireplace.