Woodburning Safety Tests---Exactly What Are They?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

builderbob

Hearth Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
Oregon
After perusing several manuals for different brands and models of zc woodburning fireplaces, I started wondering---just how safe will I be when burning one of them?

They all refer to UL-127 and to Warnock-Hersey, and have passed those tests.

Any techsmart people here who can describe just exactly what tests are applied?

Having nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon, I put forth for discussion this "burning issue" (hehe).

builderbob

1 Scope

1.1 These requirements cover factory-built fireplaces, including the fire chamber, chimney, roof assembly, and other related parts that are entirely factory-made and that are intended for unit assembly in the field.

1.2 These requirements cover factory-built fireplaces having a fire chamber intended to be operated either open to a room or, when equipped with doors, operated with the doors either open or closed.

1.3 These requirements cover factory-built fireplaces intended for use with either solid wood or coal fuels.

1.4 The factory-built fireplaces covered by these requirements are intended for installation in accordance with the National Fire Protection Association Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents and Solid-Fuel Burning Appliances, NFPA 211, and in accordance with codes such as the BOCA Basic/National Code, the Standard Mechanical Code, and the Uniform Building Code.

1.5 As covered by these requirements, an air duct system portion of a circulating warm air type fireplace is intended for installation in accordance with the National Fire Protection Association Standard for Warm Air Heating and Air Conditioning Systems, NFPA 90B.

1.6 These requirements also cover fixed blowers, and other electrical accessories for factory-built fireplaces, rated at 600 volts or less, and intended to be employed in specified locations in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70.

1.7 The chimneys for factory-built fireplaces covered by these requirements comply with either a 1700°F (927°C) flue-gas temperature test or a 2100°F (1149°C) flue-gas temperature test, at the manufacturer's option.

1.8 A product that contains features, characteristics, components, materials, or systems new or different from those covered by the requirements in this Standard, and that involves a risk of fire, electric shock, or injury to persons shall be evaluated using the appropriate additional component and end-product requirements to determine that the level of safety as originally anticipated by the intent of this Standard is maintained. A product whose features, characteristics, components, materials, or systems conflict with specific requirements or provisions of this Standard shall not be judged to comply with this Standard. Where appropriate, revision of requirements shall be proposed and adopted in conformance with the methods employed for development, revision, and implementation of this Standard.

FYI, Quadrafire is tested by OMNI Labs, not Warnock-Hersey

jtp10181 said:

Does the OMNI lab use different standards? Are they more liberal or stricter? Do they comply to some regulation put forth by the government? Or are you trying to split hairs......

Seems to me Elk doesn't need a moderator, but if you think this is an important issue, please explain.

There are lots of tests for stoves and fireplaces. Some are for the chimney - some are to test the temp of materials which are used to frame the unit in - some are for glass breakage (a steel ball swung from a certain distance).

Stoves are given "tip-over" tests.

There are tests which check the maximum temp that the door opening handle will get to. Other tests see how hot the stove can possibly get....

In other words, they test most everything in terms of design and construction....and the tests either have to meet the generic standard OR a spec which is used in the manual.

ALL labs use the same standards.....and usually multiple ones...

The regulations are not set by the government...they are set by engineering groups with input from within the industry itself and formalized as either UL standards or as ANSI or CSI (Canadian) printed standards.

littlesmokey said:
jtp10181 said:

Does the OMNI lab use different standards? Are they more liberal or stricter? Do they comply to some regulation put forth by the government? Or are you trying to split hairs......

Seems to me Elk doesn't need a moderator, but if you think this is an important issue, please explain.

Acctually there are more than one certified testing lab.. Warnock has since been bought out by
Intertek, OMNi is another. At one point there were 4 certified labs for wood burning products.

The standards for testing are established and each certified lab uses the set standards for testing. this standard is UL 127 set for wood burning fireplaces and their venting system
There is a different UL standard for wood stoves Wood stove & inserts UL 1482 covers the stoves and UL 103 HT 2100 governs the factory built chimneys. Liners are governed by UL 1777

Let me clear up some of the confusion there are 2 standards for wood burning fireplaces
Like a post I noted to builder bob before

UL127 is the standard for Open Chamber ( decoritive fireplaces) Meaning they are not high effecienccy ones and not EPA certified as mentiond in a prior post about EPA exempt these decoritive UL 127 fire places are EPA exempt and no effeciency rating or testing is required. (Your basic ineffecient metal fire place box, where most of the productive heat exits up the chimney)

(Fireplace Stoves) or the ones EPA tested and effecienccy certified are UL 737 listed. This is the fireplace catagory you should be looking into if your goal is to burn less wood and provide for heat to the living space. This catagory requires the UL 103 HT 2100 venting system

elkimmeg said:
UL127 is the standard for Open Chamber ( decoritive fireplaces) Meaning they are not high effecienccy ones and not EPA certified as mentiond in a prior post about EPA exempt these decoritive UL 127 fire places are EPA exempt and no effeciency rating or testing is required. (Your basic ineffecient metal fire place box, where most of the productive heat exits up the chimney)

(Fireplace Stoves) or the ones EPA tested and effecienccy certified are UL 737 listed. This is the fireplace catagory you should be looking into if your goal is to burn less wood and provide for heat to the living space. This catagory requires the UL 103 HT 2100 venting system

OK, now I am confused. I am looking at a manual dated 2007 for Fireplace Xtrordinair from Travis. The very front page says "Tested and listed by Omni Labs. UL127 and portions of 1482 and 907."

Manual for Montecito Estate from Lennox dated 4/2007 says "Warnock-Hersey, Listed to standards UL127 and ULC S610. EPA Cert No 609".

Both of these zc "high efficiency" models are EPA certified, and they are NOT the decorative type Open Chamber units where all the heat goes up the flue.

Elk, rest assured I am NOT looking for the open air box inefficient type units. Only at the high efficiency units and high temp chimney meeting UL103HT.

builderbob

Webmaster said:
There are lots of tests for stoves and fireplaces. Some are for the chimney - some are to test the temp of materials which are used to frame the unit in - some are for glass breakage (a steel ball swung from a certain distance).

Stoves are given "tip-over" tests.

There are tests which check the maximum temp that the door opening handle will get to. Other tests see how hot the stove can possibly get....

In other words, they test most everything in terms of design and construction....and the tests either have to meet the generic standard OR a spec which is used in the manual.

ALL labs use the same standards.....and usually multiple ones...

The regulations are not set by the government...they are set by engineering groups with input from within the industry itself and formalized as either UL standards or as ANSI or CSI (Canadian) printed standards.

So as a consumer, I can be fairly sure the unit will not burn through the back or side or top, or the whole thing wont tip over and spew burning wood all over the carpet, or the zero clearance really is ok, or the chimney won't melt under likely encountered conditions.

I presume there is lots of safety margin built into the specs too?

builderbob

builderbob said:
I am looking at a manual dated 2007 for Fireplace Xtrordinair from Travis. The very front page says "Tested and listed by Omni Labs. UL127 and portions of 1482 and 907."

Manual for Montecito Estate from Lennox dated 4/2007 says "Warnock-Hersey, Listed to standards UL127 and ULC S610. EPA Cert No 609".

Both of these zc "high efficiency" models are EPA certified, and they are NOT the decorative type Open Chamber units where all the heat goes up the flue.

builderbob

Just looked at the RSF Opel 3 manual from RSF dated 3/2007. It also says "Tested to UL 127 and ULCS610 and ULC S627.

OPEL is another high efficiency unit EPA certified.

builderbob

Webmaster said:

Glad to hear about the glass breakage standard. That is probably one of the things I might really worry about more than anything else.

The door handle temp standard---seems like I read maybe a review of some unit or other, and a complaint was how hot the handle was. I wonder what that temp standard actually is? Maybe low enough to not give someone second degree burns, but still pretty high, so when you touch something that hot--OOCH!

I presume is these standards were set some time ago? Wonder how often they get reviewed to maybe change some of them, add to them, or perhaps delete something.

builderbob

Elk is far better at quoting chapter and verse on what specs apply to what units (he should be, that's his job... :p ) but the bottom line is that IF installed per the manual and operated according to the instructions, any of these stoves will be safe.

The other thing to keep in mind when looking at these units is that there are really two different sets of tests, which are essentially independent of each other. There is a set that deals with safety issues, and doesn't really even look at emissions. To the extent that there are different standards depending on the type of stove, it is basically a question of evaluating the different construction methods used. Then there is the set of standards dealing with emissions, which don't have a great deal to do with safety issues... None of the standards really look at efficiency as such, that mostly comes indirectly from the design to meet emissions - the more efficient you burn the lower your emissions will be.

Gooserider

littlesmokey said:
jtp10181 said:

It was simple an FYI, as I said. Nothing more.

I see the confusion UL 127 also id the testing standard for venting Fireplace particularly open type, can use a lower standard venting system.

Part of UL 127 is the ability of a model to be able to use a venting system than only needs protection up to 1700 degrees Woodstove and some high effeciency fire places have to conform to UL 103 HT 2100 The HT is high temperature and the 2100 is the degrees the flue will withstand It is possible that a fire place can be designed to be effecient and use 1700 degree venting
Also many stove companies might opt for the HT103 2100 standard for testing Part of it what the Company submits to the lab to test if they are concerned that there unit may not pass with UL127 venting they may opt for the higher rate venting system.

UL is the safety standard All major appliances have to be labled and listed for many this is UL You could buya Lamp and get a UL tag attached to the cord

EPA is the emmissions and Effeciency standard Wood stoves are dual listed to both standards. A fireplace could be safe with UL127 could be effecient and never tested to EPA standards they are exempt from that stanard IT EPA certification is a very costly certification one that most do not test each new and enhanced modles. Unless they are planning a long model run

IT is possible that a manufacturer has built an effecient UL 127 EPA exempt. My question is if it is so effecient, then why not have it certified as so. Why not have the seal of approval from a nationally reconized goverment agency? The first answer would be cost. After that I am lost for a reason. Like many situations there are loop holes Suv's do not have to meet MPGS becaust they are mounted on a truck chasie Loop hole for manufactures to skirt fuel effeciencies They may post milage estimated but are not required to meet fleet EPA MPGS because originally trucks were exempt

Status
Not open for further replies.