Woodcellar drying issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCSchaffer

Sep 26, 2008
SouthCentral NH
Our basement has an attached woodshed that is 3/4 buried in the ground, making it more a wood-cellar. It has concrete floor, cinder block sides, tin roof, northern side vents, and south facing window. An eastern door connects the basement to the wood-cellar (great in bad weather), and a 3x3 portal opposite gives outside access. I have not gotten a moisture gauge yet, but am sure the venting is inadequate based on last year. I do not put green wood in it, but would like to.

So far, I have re-drained the foundation, water-proofed all the exterior walls (perhaps not a good idea above ground), and probably still need to water-proof the floor. I was going to solarize the window, but am now thinking of putting a solar black box on the roof and converting this wood-cellar into something that drys like the Solar Kiln designed at Virginia Tech.

Any comments on how to efficiently track & dry wood to 20% moisture in a wood-cellar, and keep it that way?

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.