Woodfurnace backdraft dampers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
After years from my install, I finally decided to get central air. Since I did not want the ac air blowing over the woodfurnace, I'm rerouting my ductwork. I ended up using 2-6" dampers attached to a piece of sheetmetal that I broke the edges for rigidity and a purchased a section of hinge and made a damper. For the first damper that will go off the ducting for the new central furnace and the damper with the round dampers attached will isolate the woodfurnace from the central furnace. It will be much easier for the wife and kids to operate the system this way. The woodfurnace damper will have a winter/summer setting on it. It took a few minutes of my time and a few dollars to make the dampers. Wednesday is the install of the new furnace/ac and I'll install the damper then.

20210425_211627.jpg

Reactions: sloeffle
Looks like nice work...I'm not sure I follow on the purpose of the round dampers though...just for the handle and pivot point?

Looks like nice work...I'm not sure I follow on the purpose of the round dampers though...just for the handle and pivot point?
Yep! I was going to cut down the round dampers but they add stability to the damper. They were 3 dollars each and I bought a 2 pack of joist panning for the dampers. I just needed something a little easier for those in the house and any future owners.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I just needed something a little easier for those in the house and any future owners.
Yup, I did the same thing when I installed the VF100...wanted it "idiot proof"...have a gravity damper on the oil furnace and a power closed/spring open damper on the Kuuma...still need to wire up a lockout relay so the Kuuma blower can't run when the oil furnace is on...I'm bad about that, get a project 99% done then takes me forever to circle back around and tie up the loose ends!

Yup, I did the same thing when I installed the VF100...wanted it "idiot proof"...have a gravity damper on the oil furnace and a power closed/spring open damper on the Kuuma...still need to wire up a lockout relay so the Kuuma blower can't run when the oil furnace is on...I'm bad about that, get a project 99% done then takes me forever to circle back around and tie up the loose ends!
Same here. I just put a handle on a closet door from my house addition 8 years ago. ;lol No use of getting in a hurry.

You are smart to make your own gravity damper. I paid 100 bucks for one and when it came I had to modify it so it woul allow adequate airflow.

Concerning getting things done my dad likes to say it this way: if a man says he'll do something, he'll do it. You don't have to keep reminding him every 6 months.

I also have a gravity damper in the plenum of the LP furnace and a power close damper in the duct between the Kuuma and the main supply duct for the house. I have everything wired so there is no switch flipping, damper opening/closing or anything I have to do from summer/winter or even if I want to run the LP furnace while the Kuuma is running. Relays take care of everything for me. Like mentioned above, I wanted/needed it to be female proof in case a certain female decided to do something while I was not home.

Reactions: sloeffle and woodey