woodgun air valve motor failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark123

Jan 27, 2009
PEI, Canada
My air valve motor quit working, can just the motor inside be replaced or does the whole unit have to be changed. AHS says whole unit but I opened it up and it looks as though just the motor could be changed if available, most likely it isn't in this throw away world we now live in.

I never had a failure on my damper motor so I don't know how it is configured under the cover. Perhaps you can replace just the motor but usually gear motors are pretty well riveted together to form one intregal unit.

You must bear in mind that not all motors will work in a stalled position that the damper motor sees in the open position with the spring return. Some motors will burn if left stalled.

Also not sure about replacing internal parts but it has been suggested in previous posts that if you need to replace the Honeywell unit you may want to look at one made by Bellimo.

Same type of motor is used to actuate the shutters on exhaust fans.

My air valve motor quit working, can just the motor inside be replaced or does the whole unit have to be changed. AHS says whole unit but I opened it up and it looks as though just the motor could be changed if available, most likely it isn't in this throw away world we now live in.

=====================================================================================================

They are not ment to be replaced separately.

My Dayton Shutter Motor worked without fail for 33 years with a drop of oil once in a while.
All you need is a replacement simple shutter motor from AHS, WW Grainger, Mcmaster Carr
or Farm Tek.

Status
Not open for further replies.