Woodpro 2000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steven90

Dec 14, 2018
Barboursville WV
So I have a couple questions, I've just installed a new woodpro ts 2000. I have a corner installation, I followed the manufacturer's specs and it said each corner should be a minimum of 8" of a combustible material. I installed it 8" of of the wall at the corners. I've lit the stove and checked the wall temp and was reading 175°f. Just wandering if this is ok? I've read in some places some people have had temps exceeding this and been ok and read some places where over 145°f was excessive. Just want to get some reassurance. Also I have an air intake at the bottom does it have to be piped to outside or is make up air in the room ok

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181103-203851_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20181103-203851_Drive.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 143
That is too hot. How are you checking, IR thermometer? Is the stove connected with single wall or double wall stove pipe?

How hot is the stove? And how hot is the stove pipe?

Yeah I'm using an infrared thermometer to check the wall temp, it is single wall above the stove until the wall and it transitions to the class a pipe. Technically I have installed it to specs from the manufacturer but it is the minimum because of the size of room we have

Is the rear heat shield on the stove? At what height above the floor is the 208º reading?

Is the rear heat shield on the stove? At what height above the floor is the 208º reading?

Yes there is a rear heat shield. The stove sits in the corner of the room at a 45° and the back corners of the stove is 8 inches of the wall minimum according to woodpro. The 208° is at the side of the stove about 20 inches of the floor

Attachments

• 15448318954394152355883213914963.jpg
    15448318954394152355883213914963.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 181
Above 180º starts getting risky for pyrolysis. I'd be uncomfortable seeing those temps on drywall. The very high room temp is part of the issue, but regardless the wall temp is too hot.

Is the firebrick in place in the stove? What kind of stove top temperatures is the stove running at?

Above 180º starts getting risky for pyrolysis. I'd be uncomfortable seeing those temps on drywall. The very high room temp is part of the issue, but regardless the wall temp is too hot.

Is the firebrick in place in the stove? What kind of stove top temperatures is the stove running at?

Yeah there is firebrick all round inside the stove. The stove runs between 400 and 500 with flue temp about 250 to 300. I'm just gonna extend the hearth make it bigger and pull the stove out another 4". That should be good? Essentially the back corners of the stove will be 12" instead of 8"

Pulling it out will help, but I can't guarantee it will fix the problem. You are running it at a safe temp. Those readings are quite high considering. A wall shield would allow it to stay in place and give you full peace of mind.

Pulling it out will help, but I can't guarantee it will fix the problem. You are running it at a safe temp. Those readings are quite high considering. A wall shield would allow it to stay in place and give you full peace of mind.

I understand what you are saying. I did put up a piece of aluminum on the wall earlier with a 1" air gap and it did stay cool. Unfortunately my wife didnt like the way it looked, figures lol. I will pull it out and will check the temps again. Where its sitting now there was roughly a 6" area each side where it was getting really hot so I'm hoping pulling it out some will help. If not fire shield will be going up regardless

A wall shield can be made attractive by using cement board and tiling it.

Like just screw durarock on top off the drywall or leave a 1" airgap
With the 1" gap if you want heat shielding. See the tip I mentioned in the other thread about creating furring strips.

If the stove is performing well then it is optional.

Are you sure it can be 8” to the corner with single wall pipe? Almost always double wall stovepipe is required to get it that close.

If the stove is performing well then it is optional.

If the room temp being an average 87°f when the stove running take room air to combust. If I installed a fresh air kit to outside would the stove temp be less hot since the air is colder? I dont know the science behind it hot air makes fire hotter or cold air make it hotter?

Are you sure it can be 8” to the corner with single wall pipe? Almost always double wall stovepipe is required to get it that close.

It's what it says in the installation book from the manufacturer. I did this but it makes the wall temps to hot I have temporary aluminum sheets up to protect the wall, until I get time to move the stove out further. I'm thinking of messaging woodpro saying their min clearance is not enough as the walls get too hot but I feel I may be wasting my time

It's what it says in the installation book from the manufacturer. I did this but it makes the wall temps to hot I have temporary aluminum sheets up to protect the wall, until I get time to move the stove out further. I'm thinking of messaging woodpro saying their min clearance is not enough as the walls get too hot but I feel I may be wasting my time
Probably so..
Get 2 45 degree elbows for the pipe you have, see how much offset they give you. Then you’ll know how much to add to the hearth.

Probably so..
Get 2 45 degree elbows for the pipe you have, see how much offset they give you. Then you’ll know how much to add to the hearth.

Yeah I was figuring 2 - 45° bends on the vertical if not I thought about where it 90s out the wall possibly sticking a 45 on the 90 going out through the qall

Yes, I suspected the clearances as well and checked. An 8" corner install clearance looks like it provides at least 18" from the stove pipe, but worth checking. That is why I asked at what height you were seeing the high wall temp. The manual doesn't differentiate for double-wall stove pipe. I was a bit surprised to see that the manual is for all 3 sizes of the WoodPros, but the clearances are all the same.

If you can get in touch with someone there it might be worth asking them if they have updated the manual or revised clearances.

Last edited:
Yes, I suspected the clearances as well and checked. An 8" corner install clearance looks like it provides at least 18" from the stove pipe, but worth checking. That is why I asked at what height you were seeing the high wall temp. The manual doesn't differentiate for double-wall stove pipe. I was a bit surprised to see that the manual is for all 3 sizes of the WoodPros, but the clearances are all the same.

If you can get in touch with someone there it might be worth asking them if they have updated the manual or revised clearances.

Yeah I've sent them an email, so I guess we shall see what they say about it, I just dont want anyone wasting time and money like I did having to do things twice

So I recently pulled out the stove another 4" from the wall and is now at 12" of the wall from each corner. It's a corner install. So I let the stove get up to temperature and the highest reading I was getting now is 180. I've managed to get it down from 208. Is this still too hot? I was thinking of possibly putting durarock on the wall and maybe putting air stone on it would that be ok?

You might want to shoot your IR thermometer at the wall outlet to the left of the stove to check the temperature there, as well. I wouldn't want that plastic cover and the wiring inside the receptacle box to be 180F. At that high a temperature I don't think it would take much of a draw on the outlet to throw the breaker for that circuit. For example, running a vacuum cleaner out of that outlet.