Woodstock Keystone steel combustor install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darl Bundren

Jan 9, 2008
WNC
Hey, everybody! I bought a combustor for my Keystone which currently has the old ceramic combustor installed. When I install the steel version, I take out the combustor box (243 and 244). Then do I use the screws circled in red to fasten the combustor into the stove? I was going to call WS, but I think they’re closed until Monday.
47AF596F-DDBE-4FB3-A26C-E158B99631FF.jpeg

I believe those bolts are only needed with the stove is being shipped. I think there is a sentence about them in the manual.

Behold! Thanks for the help.

View attachment 274524

When you got the new cat, did it come with install instructions, or a new set of bolts? My stove came with the first version of the SS cat that still used the cast frame the ceramic used. They sent 2 bolts, and instructions to bolt the cat in place, because the new one is a LOT lighter compared to the cast box. It's interesting that the manual doesn't say that, but I've been bolting mine down for 3 years now. May be worth a quick call to WS on Monday anyway. . .

I called WS today, and the guy said to take out the combustor box and bolt in the stainless cat finger tight. The two bolts came with the replacement cat. I’m going to get in there tonight after supper for the swap. No installation instructions, though.

I called WS today, and the guy said to take out the combustor box and bolt in the stainless cat finger tight. The two bolts came with the replacement cat. I’m going to get in there tonight after supper for the swap. No installation instructions, though.

Great, that's exactly how I've been installing it, based on their previous instructions. They should really update the manual, now that they all ship with the SS can w/o the cast frame.