Woodstock progress hybrid: Clean the screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgepds

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2012
We were getting really bad fires recently, and we tracked it down to ash clogging the Inconel screen. Once the screen was clean.. every fire worked well

I’ve been cleaning the cat regularly (doesn’t get that dirty cause the Inconel screen works so well) , so now I’ll start with the screen. To clean it, I just brushed the bottom with an old paint brush

Just curious, how often do other WPH owners clean the screen?

What methods do you use?

Anyone ever have to remove the screen to clan it?

I clean mine after my cat looks like this.

Just kidding. Actually Woodstock stopped shipping stoves with iconel screens a while back due to the screen clogging issue. I don't use the sceen any more at all. The older generation cat below stalled so many times it clogged. The newer cats burn much better.

UglyCat_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I clean mine after my cat looks like this.

Just kidding. Actually Woodstock stopped shipping stoves with iconel screens a while back due to the screen clogging issue. I don't use the sceen any more at all. The older generation cat below stalled so many times it clogged. The newer cats burn much better.

View attachment 190130

fire_man - Thanks for the comment and info. I have been meaning to call Woodstock about my 3 year old screen which is mere scraps at this point. It is surely not catching much of anything and I was wondering about just pulling it out. I do have the style of cat shown in your picture though. Would you recommend that I call and spend the money for a new cat? Have you noticed any difference in chimney liner deposits burning without the screen?

I tossed my screen last year too, I recommend you get the new cat, fits like a glove, you don't have to mess with the gasket anymore either. It doesnt hurt to have a spare in case one clogs.

My screen turned to scrap, too. Mine has been gone for a full burning season. You have to check your cat more often for the beginning of a clog and clean it a little more often but it's worth it not to have to mess with the screen.

If your cat is still lighting off well with no gray smoke out the stack, no need to replace it. They should last at least 3 solid years of 24x7 burning in my experience. Don't forget to do the vinegar rinse at least once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.