Woodstock Progress video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciccio

Apr 5, 2011
new jersey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MdH630Rv4

Here is a short video of the new Progress stove burning next to the Fireview, here you can see the size difference in both the stoves..

My first video post hope it works.

ciccio

ciccio said:

Here is a short video of the new Progress stove burning next to the Fireview, here you can see the size difference in both the stoves..

ciccio

What was the temperature of each stove at that point? Roughly.

That was a pretty good video. I was wondering that too, and if they were both started at the same time.

Good video comparison.. How did you manage to get the video with no people around?

Ray

raybonz said:
Good video comparison.. How did you manage to get the video with no people around?

Ray

Ray, were you there at the time they started up both stoves from scratch? Were they started at the same time?

My Oslo heats my home said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Ray, were you there at the time they started up both stoves from scratch? Were they started at the same time?

Yup I saw them both start up but didn't hang around to see all the comparisons..

Ray

raybonz said:
My Oslo heats my home said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Yup I saw them both start up but didn't hang around to see all the comparisons..

Ray

In the video it looks as if the stove on the left, the progress, has had a reload compared to the second stove that seems to be cruising on it's original load. Did anyone get numbers for this? stove top temps, flue temps, burn times, types of wood being used etc?? Thanks Ray

When I witnessed both stoves cruising w/ a good load of wood, there was more of a light show in the Progress because of the secondary air which the fireview doesn't have.

pen

Something that I notice in this video is the heat waves over the PH. That stove must have been throwing a lot of heat.

BrowningBAR said:
ciccio said:

ciccio

What was the temperature of each stove at that point? Roughly.

Sorry I did not get to see the temperature of both stoves I did not even know my wife was taking video's with the camera til I got home...I believe they were loading the Progress more to show all the people how it reacts with different settings and different wood like Backwoods ash that he brought.

Slow1 said:
Something that I notice in this video is the heat waves over the PH. That stove must have been throwing a lot of heat.

Yes it was, even though it did not have much wood in it,(the times I seen it burning) amazing how much the stove reacts so fast with just a little more air or a little less, looks like you have a lot of control of the fire my opinion

ciccio said:
Slow1 said:

Yes it was, even though it did not have much wood in it,(the times I see it burning) amazing how much the stove reacts so fast with just a little more air or a little less, looks like you have a lot of control of the fire my opinion

+1 The air adjustment definitely change the fire output..

Ray

I thought the PH would look a lot bigger compared to the Fireview. If it had the same short legs it would be about the same height wise. Does it look a lot bigger in person?

Overall it really didn't strike me as a huge stove. Then again, it was not in a living room - rather it was in that large factory floor and set a good distance from the FV so it may have been a bit hard to really compare. The thing that impressed me the most in comparing the two is the window size - I sure like the big open look of the PH.

I'd like to see a picture of all their stoves lined up next to each other for comparison.

I'm sure the woodstock folks are keeping an eye on the PH threads. It is definitely a game changer for sure. Question I have is how do you attract non cat burners (like me) to buy this stove?

Hybridization. . .and so they shall be reconciled, the catalytic, and the non. . .seriously, what's your beef with the cat now? If you can't manage the complex task of getting the cat to light off, you'll still get plenty of heat from the secondary burn in the firebox. . .which will light off the cat, sooner or later. I think part of the effort in this design was aimed at making it harder to abuse the cat. Is operating the bypass really so daunting? Some non-cat stoves have a bypass as an upgrade feature. . .helps get draft going on cold starts and reloads.

Den said:
Hybridization. . .and so they shall be reconciled, the catalytic, and the non. . .seriously, what's your beef with the cat now? If you can't manage the complex task of getting the cat to light off, you'll still get plenty of heat from the secondary burn in the firebox. . .which will light off the cat, sooner or later. I think part of the effort in this design was aimed at making it harder to abuse the cat. Is operating the bypass really so daunting? Some non-cat stoves have a bypass as an upgrade feature. . .helps get draft going on cold starts and reloads.

For some, it is just an added expense and un-needed.

The active members on this forum are the minority when it comes to wood burning. Most just want to through in some wood into a firebox and get some heat. They can barely be bothered to use dry wood and look at the stove thermometer.

I dunno, man. Horse. . .water, etc. Maybe this stove isn't for you, but they'll probably have no problem selling all the stoves that they can build. . .maybe more than they can build, so they hire some extra hands. . .now that'd be progress. :)

As it was explained to me at Woodstock, If the stove was burned in high or a higher burn mode the cat does almost nothing as the primary and secondary air are going to be able to clean things up very well.

But, the secondary air is regulated (not unregulated like my 30). So as you close down the primary, you are also closing down the secondary to a point. While the secondary won't turn off all the way, it will turn down low enough that the cat is necessary for a clean burn.

Having the air set up this way is why it gets such long burn times and can be turned down to such a low heat output w/ getting bad emissions.

After watching this stove just ratchet up and respond to every little twitch of the air control, and never seeing the chimney pipe get over 325 although the stove was really cranking, I really don't think a thermostat would do a whole heck of a lot more for an operator.

pen

pen said:
As it was explained to me at Woodstock, If the stove was burned in high or a higher burn mode the cat does almost nothing as the primary and secondary air are going to be able to clean things up very well.

But, the secondary air is regulated (not unregulated like my 30). So as you close down the primary, you are also closing down the secondary to a point. While the secondary won't turn off all the way, it will turn down low enough that the cat is necessary for a clean burn.

Having the air set up this way is why it gets such long burn times and can be turned down to such a low heat output w/ getting bad emissions.

After watching this stove just ratchet up and respond to every little twitch of the air control, and never seeing the chimney pipe get over 325 although the stove was really cranking, I really don't think a thermostat would do a whole heck of a lot more for an operator.

pen

Interesting and very informative. I understand the secondary air is dedicated soley to the secondaries and cannot be altered. The primary air is understood as well. When the secondary lights the tubes and those gases burn off what work does the cat actually have to do? I see your explanation on the primary air being turned down for a long 'cruising' burn and the cat would be involved then, but still wouldn't the tubes catch that gas first? Did woodstock have any burn time numbers for the hybrid?

I think the cat would not have much to to do in med/high burn when the firebox is hot enough to burn the gases with secondary burn. In low burn, when the firebox is not hot enough for a secondary burn to occur, there will be food for the cat. Burn time: says up to 16 hours on their site, and easy 12-hour reloads on the blog. My experience with Woodstock is that they are not given to exaggeration.

Den said:
I think the cat would not have much to to do in med/high burn when the firebox is hot enough to burn the gases with secondary burn. In low burn, when the firebox is not hot enough for a secondary burn to occur, there will be food for the cat. Burn time: says up to 16 hours on their site, and easy 12-hour reloads on the blog. My experience with Woodstock is that they are not given to exaggeration.

Appreciate your response Den. Don't get me wrong, its not like I'm a non cat fan at all, never had one to say. Being a tubular owner and having the stove do all the work, its just one less thing to worry about. I am always open to new things but I will question it to death until satisfied. If it ain't broke...why fix it.
Now that you have brought up some amazing burn times that alone would attract me. Imagine how much less wood you would consume with numbers like that. I can go through 4.5 cords a year that can possibly be cut to maybe 3.5-4 cords. That's money...

It just seem like the only thing we see is a fully involved fire. You ain't gonna save a thing burning like that.

[quote author="My Oslo heats my home" date="1318343347"

Being a tubular owner and having the stove do all the work, its just one less thing to worry about. I am always open to new things but I will question it to death until satisfied. If it ain't broke...why fix it.
Now that you have brought up some amazing burn times that alone would attract me. Imagine how much less wood you would consume with numbers like that. I can go through 4.5 cords a year that can possibly be cut to maybe 3.5-4 cords. That's money...[/quote]

Question: Would you like to be able to load your stove full (as you perhaps do during the peak burn season) during shoulder season and dial the burn down very low so it burns at say 1/2 the rate, and let it burn for 2x the time as you get now, but still have a clean burn? That's one thing you can get with the cat. Lower it a bit more and get less heat and longer burn. Burn times are so subjective anyway as you get less heat the longer you burn but it may be ok depending on what you need for your home at that time. I've also heard that "every time you open the door you give up some efficiency" so those loooong burns in shoulder season help improve your efficiency too.

Total stove design may cut the overall wood usage - I am not sure that simply putting the cat in will necessarily reduce your wood burn from 4.5 to 3.5/4 cords. But perhaps it can if you can avoid having to overheat your home during shoulder season by running hot fires to get a clean burn. The "burn small hot fires" recommendation can be replaced by "run long big cool fires."

Status
Not open for further replies.