Q&A Woodstove Manufacturing Materials

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am searching for a wood burning insert for our fireplace, and since Consumer Reports does no research on this topic, I turned to your web site. Which material is better for a fireplace insert, cast iron or steel? Does it matter if the manufacturer uses brass or gold plating on the door & accents? Which materials do best under the thermal conditions produced by wood burning stoves?

Answer:

Steel and cast-iron are both fine materials for the stove body. More inserts are made of steel since it can be easily formed into the double chamber design needed for fireplace inserts.

I have not seen any modern wood burning steel inserts burn through, so you can be assured of a decade or more of service.

As far as the accents, solid brass will need more polishing, but will hold up in the long, long run. Gold plating can get messed up if it is cleaned ONCE with the wrong type of cleaner. So, it depends on how sure you are of who is going to clean it...

There is now a stove and fireplace rating area of HearthNet that contains customer reviews. Check it out on the link from the front page of the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.