Wool Socks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I buy my socks in bulk so I don't have any issues trying to match them. My wool boot socks are finally wearing through, so I need a new batch. Does anybody have any favorite wool socks they'd recommend?

Wigwam Mills. Have a hat that's about 50 years old. U.S. company.

That brings back memories--one day I came home --and my husband had two drawers "filled" with socks --all the same color---I looked at him "strange" and he told me that he never wanted to "have to match them up again"---we laughed....he was into efficiency.. clancey

Reactions: D8Chumley
I don't have any recommendations since I have no idea what brand my socks are--just bought what the local mom and pop shop had a few years ago (this place is great--you can buy anything from stove pipe to produce). I just wanted to be part of the "I don't match socks" club! BTW, my wife thinks I'm nuts.

The best deal out there is the annual factory sale at Darn Tuff in Norwich VT. Unfortunately you have to go there (no mail orders) the sale is the first two weekends of Vt deer season. Its literally a factory sale, they just empty a warehouse and have boxes of their socks all around the room. It is not advertised but thousands of folks show up for the sale. Odds are if you live in VT you will get Darn Tuffs for Christmas. Note that getting a thousand folks anywhere in rural VT is quite a crowd. The factory is in VT and they source their materials from the US. They also make a lot of private label high end socks.

Most of what they make are Merino wool and some blends. They also make socks for the US Military which ise a bit high blend. They sell seconds of the military socks in bags of 6 pairs for about $5 a pair. They last a long time. I was last over there pre Covid and still working my inventory down. It takes a lot to wear out a pair. I buy their military T450 over the calf for winter use, super warm and great cushioning. I used Smart Wools for years but once I switched to Darn Tuffs I never looked back. If you buy retail they are lifetime guaranteed. Wear them out and send them the old pair and they will send you a new pair. I think Farmway in Bradford VT (an institution in VT) usually has a deal if you buy 5 pairs they give you a sixth for free. They rarely are on sale.

I have a drawer full of Fox River Outdoorsox. USA made. I wear them year round. I wear steel toes every day, and find I am very comfortable with a heavy wool sock... and no nasty stink like with cotton or synthetics.

My wife laughs at me, due to the lack of variety.

outdoorsox-extra-heavyweight-mid-calf-boot-greyblack-medium-fox-river-socks-838758_1080x.jpg

Looks like Clear Creek and Mountain Lodge are two brands of mass market wool socks. Inexpensive enough to buy in bulk.

This northeast chain has lots of stores around you. I'd head over there to see what you think of them. I'm constantly in OSJL. :)

I never even thought to look 8n Ocean State. There are 2 of them within 10 miles, lol.

I went with Omni socks. I found 2nds at Sierra Trading Post. I hadn't ordered from them in 20 years. They used to send out a print catalog. Made in the USA too!

Thanks guys!

I try to do the same,just reach in and grab 2...
My new girlfriend asked me why i have all the same socks?I gave all the above answers.

I don’t know what brand mine are. But a lot of them are so close to the same color that I sometimes get them mixed up. Either getting dressed in not the brightest light, or just being colorblind.

I don’t know what brand mine are. But a lot of them are so close to the same color that I sometimes get them mixed up. Either getting dressed in not the brightest light, or just being colorblind.
1-Ok now cut the light gray wire.
2-Wait I’ve only got blue, red, green, and yellow on my end.
1-oh chit I forgot I’m color blind, my bad!

I get picked on about it...;lol

Reactions: tlc1976
I've never heard of clothing made from bamboo!
I've had some bamboo socks for 10 years now and no holes so far. I don't wear them all the time but they outlast cotton and are twice as soft as cotton.

Long ago the "miracle fiber" was Rayon made with refined cellulose from wood pulp. Bamboo fiber sounds more exotic and green but its the same stuff. Hemp can also be processed into the same fiber. The difference is Bamboo/Hemp grows faster (mostly related to the climate it is grown in, sunlight and daylength equals fast growth).

Long ago the "miracle fiber" was Rayon made with refined cellulose from wood pulp. Bamboo fiber sounds more exotic and green but its the same stuff. Hemp can also be processed into the same fiber. The difference is Bamboo/Hemp grows faster (mostly related to the climate it is grown in, sunlight and daylength equals fast growth).
I always thought the Bamboo fiber sounded just like Rayon. I'll stick to natural cotton and wool when I can find them.

These are "only" 75% wool, but that was about the highest percentage I could find for wool socks.

This is my favorite almost 100% cotton sock. They have held up pretty well as my daily sock. A couple have worn through at the heel, but I wear these socks a lot.

I'm always on the lookout for socks that are made with mostly natural fibers. Synthetic materials like polyester "quick dry" make my feet a little too dry and just plain feel "gross" on my feet.

I wear only Farm To Feet and Smart Wool socks in various weights year round.

Stupid money unless I get them on sale but even then not cheap but they last a very long time.
I stopped wearing cotton socks years ago and never looked back.

I wear only Farm To Feet and Smart Wool socks in various weights year round.

Stupid money unless I get them on sale but even then not cheap but they last a very long time.
I stopped wearing cotton socks years ago and never looked back.
I tried smartwool socks, but they wear through quickly and some of the seams tore. After looking the content of the socks I"m surprised they wore out. Must be because I got them at the LL Bean discount store in Ellsworth.

I tried smartwool socks, but they wear through quickly and some of the seams tore. After looking the content of the socks I"m surprised they wore out. Must be because I got them at the LL Bean discount store in Ellsworth.
All of mine came from Eastern Mountain Sports. Buy 3 get one free plus with cash back rewards they get much more reasonable. I've worn out 3 pairs in at least the past 8 years. Very happy with the life they have provided. The Farm To Feet seem to fit just a little bit better.

You all got me curious, just ordered a set of the otc darn toughs. I fight sweaty feet year round, worse in the winter with heavy boots. They best I’ve found so far are the Hanes xtemp. Mostly synthetic but they beat Cotten socks all to pieces, I get less than a year out off them before I wear holes in the toes.

Mechanic at work swears by the . . . believe it or not . . . Snap On branded socks. He actually bought me a pair the other day to try out -- claims he has a few pair over 15 years old and in good shape.

They are super expensive for socks but buy one pair of these https://darntough.com/products/unisex-merino-wool-t4050-tactical-otc-heavyweight-tactical-socks and you may never buy another brand of winter sock again. The cushioning is incredible and they are durable. At one point in my web crawling I ran into a forum of Afghanistan special services folks and they were giving hints to each other where they could get the "good" Darn Tuff winter socks compared the other standard issue. I think these were the guys who were in the field for weeks.

Reactions: MrCool1
I always wear wool socks - light ones in the summer and heavier in the winter, of course - I am quite happy with the quality of Darn tough - and they seem to be incredibly durable.
tough part is the in-laws - once J slipped that I wear wool socks - I get a variation of something for christmas every year now.
so far never a match to what I use. Heavy sigh.......
I got a couple packages (9 pairs I think in each package) of Darn tough, green - from Colemans surplus. they are new socks - from an military surplus vendor! My grandson learned about them - then wanted a bunch of them himself - so guess what he got for Christmas last year!

Great score on the army surplus Darn Tuffs. I think I have bag of that style seconds in collection.