Wool Socks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I still have one pair of wool/cotton blend socks from the Army and wish I had more.

Mechanic at work swears by the . . . believe it or not . . . Snap On branded socks. He actually bought me a pair the other day to try out -- claims he has a few pair over 15 years old and in good shape.
At least we know they’ll last until they’re paid for. 😂

I always wear wool socks (over-the-calf).
I had a bunch from Jos. A. Bank, but they were wearing out, and wasn't pleased with socks they now carry and their prices, so ordered several Gold Toe (inexpensive 5 pack). They have proved a great value holding up well, especially for a thinner sock. Also, ordered Wrangler over-the-calf that are a bit thicker material and I have been pleased with them too. Both brands don't fall down.
I like Smart Wool but a bit pricey. I really like their wool ankle sock for running shoes - they stay put without being too tight, are comfortable, and are very durable.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I always wear wool socks (over-the-calf).
I had a bunch from Jos. A. Bank, but they were wearing out, and wasn't pleased with socks they now carry and their prices, so ordered several Gold Toe (inexpensive 5 pack). They have proved a great value holding up well, especially for a thinner sock. Also, ordered Wrangler over-the-calf that are a bit thicker material and I have been pleased with them too. Both brands don't fall down.
I like Smart Wool but a bit pricey. I really like their wool ankle sock for running shoes - they stay put without being too tight, are comfortable, and are very durable.
I have those wrangler socks, mostly cotton, and they do well for boots, and decent even in colder weather. Not quite as good as a good wool sock when shoveling snow, but I like them for most everything else.

I like darn tuff socks they seem to hold up forever. But I have a bunch of different brands. Rocky wigwam are definitely good and allot of no name ones have worked out ok some sucked. The darn tuff are the best though.

We had the welder at work cut a slot out of the box end of combo wrench for use on valve stem packing. He literally teared up as he put the grinding wheel in it and 3 years later is still sore about cutting on a good wrench.
I don't blame him, that wrench was probably a car payment. HF wrenches are for cutting, not SnapOn!

Brake line wrenches have an opening to get past brake lines. I have a set.

This was an 1&1/8” wrench. I don’t think they make line wrenches that big.
Either way it was the only one we had available at the time and it paid for itself 10x over on the first use!

Read the washing instructions (wash from the inside out) and the folding instructions. I think the vast majority of folks fold then roll a cuff over to form a single ball. DT recommends not rolling them into a ball to keep from stretching them. The original owner and founder used to come to the factory sale. He was really into socks.

The more time you spend on your feet, the more you care about warm, dry, feet.

The more time you spend on your feet, the more you care about warm, dry, feet.
The military teaches this. I always bring extra socks with me if I'm doing something on my feet all day. You never know.

I seem to remember Lieutenant Dan telling Forest Gump and his buddy about socks

Reactions: Rusty18
I have the sound track to that movie. I should pull it out and see if the CD player still works, lol.