Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody Stover, those 2 attack dogs do like their firewood, maybe not so much right now but come this winter. The one has been with me for almost 15 years we have spent a lot of time in the woods working on wood. Thewoodlands the weather has been pretty dry until this week. The end of May was hot 80's plus but lately we have had cooler temps. I'm hoping it warms up a little I'm not a fan of low 50's for June at night but I'll take the dry days.​

Reactions: thewoodlands
There's a guy I met earlier this year, when I saw some Red Maple lying next to the road, cut by the power company.
I was going for the scrounge, but talking to the guy I found out he's thinking of getting a stove. So I told him he should keep that quick-dry stuff, get it split, and he'd be ready for this winter.
Today I was close to his house and thought I'd stop by and see where he was with the stove idea. We walked around his place and IDed some trees. Then I asked him if I'd told him about the saw I found lying in the road in front of his house. He said "That's my saw, it must have fallen out of the back of my truck when I was turning into the driveway!" (Uphill) "I looked the next day but never found it." He described the saw to a tee, so I went home, got it and brought it back to him. It's an 028, had a new TriLink bar and chain, and I'd been using it quite a bit, once I got used to the extra weight of the early '80s vintage saw.
He was glad to get it back, and gave me an 024, probably about the same age, that someone had given him but that he hadn't been able to start. So if the saw is OK, I still came out ahead, although it's a little smaller than the 028. I like the guy and met his son today. Very nice guy, so I was happy to get his saw back to him. 🙂
As far as actual "work done," I carried a couple pieces of sheet metal over near the Hickory I stacked on the plastic pallets yesterday. 😆

I did more splitting and stacking today, another face cord of pine went up for a total of 15. I still have more rounds to split so I'll either go for a stacked 16th or just split and toss in a big pile and then cover it before winter.

Picture 3812 are the rounds I started with, 3813 & 14 are some of the loads that went to the stacking area & 3818 is the face cord of pine.

104_3812.JPG 104_3813.JPG 104_3814.JPG 104_3818.JPG

A friend of ours owns a Tree Service. He was working a project that is taking down a bunch of beech trees. He dropped off this load on Saturday. Bucked up the smaller diameter stuff. Will be working on the bigger stuff this week. Biggest Diameter is 34" but most is about 24". I'll have to cut both sides as I only have 18" bar.

JLHJ6430[1].JPG

Bucked up the smaller diameter stuff. Will be working on the bigger stuff this week. Biggest Diameter is 34" but most is about 24". I'll have to cut both sides as I only have 18" bar.
Gotta love those straight logs without many branches! 👍
If the tree guy will be supplying you more wood like this, you might invest in a peavey. That way, you can make all your initial cuts, then roll the logs over to complete the cuts.
And if he'll be bringing fatter logs, you have an excuse to buy a bigger saw! 😏 Or at least a longer bar and chain, depending on if the saw can handle it OK. If not, you might want a skip chain. I really haven't dabbled in them yet, though, so I'm no expert..

Last edited:
A friend of ours owns a Tree Service. He was working a project that is taking down a bunch of beech trees. He dropped off this load on Saturday. Bucked up the smaller diameter stuff. Will be working on the bigger stuff this week. Biggest Diameter is 34" but most is about 24". I'll have to cut both sides as I only have 18" bar.

View attachment 313426
Love beech if it's in good shape. Those logs look mostly solid, maybe some rot. Seasons quickly, burns hot, coals nicely... Good stuff!

Love beech if it's in good shape. Those logs look mostly solid, maybe some rot. Seasons quickly, burns hot, coals nicely... Good stuff!
I'd like to get some Beech to try. I saw stands of it an hour or so east of here, but I've only seen one Beech around here, several years ago.
From what I'm seeing, I might be close to the western edge of its range, so it might be scarce in my area..

Last edited:

View attachment 313426
Nice, nothing like heating with beech once it's seasoned.

I'm still pining for pine. Obtained 1.5 cords from one tree (so far, 5.5 cords of my permitted 10). I took down another wrong-way leaner. If I can't send this dead-stander towards the road I now have to work twice as hard. I took my time. What to do? I threw a needle nose pliers attached to a rope around a limb/tree and tied the rope to another tree (opposite the lean, 'I'm not letting you go where you want to go tree.').

I did my cuts not knowing that part of the tree was rotten (ant's nest). It busted loose early on and started to fall towards the lean. The rope stopped it and it fell almost towards the road - I'm glad I tied a rope to it. I was going to 1-wedge, 2, 3-wedge it to straight and then drop it, oh well. I rolled most of the rounds 75 feet down a gradual hill towards the road - all in all about as good as I could do on this one. Offloading at home,
IMG_20130519_144429.jpg

IMG_20130519_144430.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't been doing much wooding lately with rehabbing and updating the house. Northwoods is liveable, lots of small projects to do yet but nothing real serious until we move.

Trimmed dead tree branches in the yard yesterday. 6 trailer loads of brush for the burn pile and half a trailer load of honey locust for the wood pile 2"-5". Last time in the Northwoods I cut up a deadfall Aspen that was in the yard that went on the campfire pile. Have started moving wood at home from outdoors to the wood bin in the garage seeing as it's been so dry.

Starting to plan a mid size pole shed for the Northwoods which has the missus' aggravated, but we need more storage space even after we get rid of a bunch of stuff before we move.

Since the rain stopped and were pretty much all sand back here, I hooked up the trail mower to the Rhino and did the trails and a bunch of the yard, I finished up a few areas with the push mower at the end.

Well it’s July the 2nd and I’m ashamed to report I just got the stoved cleaned out. :(

In other news due to the storms we’ve had during the last year I have 3 nice oak trees down that should supply me with firewood for quite some time.

I'm still pining for pine. Obtained 1.5 cords from one tree (so far, 5.5 cords of my permitted 10). I took down another wrong-way leaner. If I can't send this dead-stander towards the road I now have to work twice as hard. I took my time. What to do? I threw a needle nose pliers attached to a rope around a limb/tree and tied the rope to another tree (opposite the lean, 'I'm not letting you go where you want to go tree.').

I did my cuts not knowing that part of the tree was rotten (ant's nest). It busted loose early on and started to fall towards the lean. The rope stopped it and it fell almost towards the road - I'm glad I tied a rope to it. I was going to 1-wedge, 2, 3-wedge it to straight and then drop it, oh well. I rolled most of the rounds 75 feet down a gradual hill towards the road - all in all about as good as I could do on this one. Offloading at home,

I bought 200’ of 1/4 poly line and an old 1” nut for a “throw bag” and paired with some 1/2” poly rope to get lines in trees. It took some practice but it really helps having dedicated rope/weight that you can get familiar with to make accurate shots.

As far as cutting dead stuff…I like to shake it from as high up as I can with a rope or cable to get anything that’s gonna fall to do so before I get under it with a saw. There’s not much worse than the whole top breaking off just as you finish a cut.

I ordered one of those throw rope/bean bag kits and somehow it ended up in Montana (?) - I'm in Idaho. I obtained 2 more cords of Lodgepole pine. Six trees down, 3 small/medium, 2-medium, and 1-medium/large.

I bucked and loaded the 3 bigger trees. I'll get the smaller trees next time. Most of my day was spent rolling/kicking rounds down a slight hill. I learned something this day - cheap wedges are garbage. I busted 4 or 5 of them on the first few strikes (see last picture). Not all wedges are equal, I now see (I even busted the little yellow Oregon wedge or maybe I cut its end off ;em ).

It was the start of the 4th of July weekend, and things were starting to get crazy, camper crazy. It is going to be a camping madhouse until July 5th. Too bad too, I located 2 large dead standers behind a rough baseball homeplate at a camper reservation site. I knew it was a no go when I saw the Rangers dropping off 3 port-a-potties. Maybe by next Wednesday or Thursday all will be quiet on the campsite front.

My permitted total is 10 cords. I'm up to 7.5 cords, so 2 more trips.
IMG_20130531_210239.jpg

IMG_20130529_133813.jpg

IMG_20130531_210242.jpg

Last edited:
Resized_20230618_201215_8974.jpegResized_20230625_151916_3217.jpeg20230618_201203.jpg20230618_201848.jpg20230625_151904.jpgI have all the new wood finally moved from the driveway. I have also been moving wood closer to the house for the coming winter inbetween the rain. Hope everyone is having a good 4th.

The only work done today was hook the trail mower up to the Rhino and mow the trails around the house and mow some of the yard, that job is done for a few weeks unless it starts raining everyday.

The temp this morning was 55.6, I ended up washing the rhino and then we watched a small parade in our town.

Ten cords of pine obtained with this last load of 2+ cords. I barely made it. I ran out of juice about 80% of the way to finishing the rounds being loaded. I nearly got kicked off the site by a caretaker who told me this was a girl scout camp area. And I had the trees bucked and was getting ready to load when he gave me the boot - all of that work wasted.

He took pity on me, and right before leaving he said, '..oh well since you've done all of that cutting you might as well take it....' So, 2 trees dropped. First tree, 1/2 cord and the second 2+ cords. I sure can't judge the cordage of a tree by looking at it. The large tree had 3 extra false tops with one at the top leaning out at an angle (it all adds up). That upper false top completely pulled the tree its way even though I aimed the tree elsewhere. I will not underestimate limbs and false tops again.

Here is a picture of the bucked up little tree, and the little train that can (a 10 ton mini splitter). The mini splitter has no problems with this pine. I had to get it off the ground though to save my back. Now for mucho splitting. And I think I can put the saws away for the season (unless a good tree, like ash or locust, becomes available).
IMG_20130609_143152.jpg

IMG_20130613_170715.jpg

Last edited:
While having coffee this morning I heard a branch or tree come down, I thought it was on the hill in the back but it was a rotten cherry, it came down in the area I last worked which was west of the area I thought it came down..

I had planned on taking it down but was going to finish splitting the pine first, mother nature just made that area a safer place to work.

IMG_0734.JPG IMG_0735.JPG IMG_0736.JPG IMG_0737.JPG IMG_0738.JPG

Reactions: heavy hammer
Just think now you have more work to do and "cherry wood at that". Happy Gathering--clancey
How have you been @clancey ? We've been real wet here, nothing like parts of New York State, Vermont and some other states received but it seems like it rains every other day.

Reactions: clancey
I had planned on bucking up the cherry that came down but changed my mind. Even though I had enough hardwood top covered for this year, I top covered more hardwood and then top covered 10 face cord of pine for a total of 12 for the shoulder season. We still have 3 more face of pine that I will top cover.

We have between 20 to 24 face cord of hardwood top covered, before I top covered more today we had 14 face top covered.

I kept waiting for a nice dry spell this summer but it never really happened, so lets hope for more sun for the rest of July and a drier August.

I talked with a neighbor whose back isn't great so I'll be putting in their firewood soon.

Gotta love those straight logs without many branches! 👍
If the tree guy will be supplying you more wood like this, you might invest in a peavey. That way, you can make all your initial cuts, then roll the logs over to complete the cuts.
And if he'll be bringing fatter logs, you have an excuse to buy a bigger saw! 😏 Or at least a longer bar and chain, depending on if the saw can handle it OK. If not, you might want a skip chain. I really haven't dabbled in them yet, though, so I'm no expert..
I have a tree jack that gives me leverage to roll. I'll invest in a splitter before a new saw. Borrowing one from a friend to split the beech.

What a neat thread this is !!

A few days back we got this mess stacked up onto the rest of the pile. A neighbor had some wood to get rid of so even though it's mostly poplar and basswood I'm not going to say no. It's nice and dry with almost no rotten ones so win for me!!
KIMG2090.JPG

The piles added around 3.5 rows in the back of the boiler pad. Sweet deal !!
KIMG2130.JPG