Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Since we have more rain coming in along with the temp warming up, we'll put more pine in today and maybe some ash before it gets wet out in a few days.

We put in two loads of pine today and then I checked out the area we call the sandpit. The forecast I saw this morning should get rid of what snow we have.

Hopefully I'll have enough time this winter that I can fell the dead pine in picture 0935, the wind took the rest of the tree about three years ago just before winter hit.

IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0935.JPG IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0937.JPG

Couple dead trees came down in the road from the storm. Town moved them over. 75 yards from my house. Took a load in my little trailer. Man it felt hard going through that dead red oak. Will need to sharpen the chain before I get more. My helper is big enough to move some 4-5 inch diameter stuff now. He loved it.

20231223_093208.jpg20231223_101020.jpg

Couple dead trees came down in the road from the storm. Town moved them over. 75 yards from my house. Took a load in my little trailer. Man it felt hard going through that dead red oak. Will need to sharpen the chain before I get more. My helper is big enough to move some 4-5 inch diameter stuff now. He loved it.View attachment 321288View attachment 321289
That stuff with the bark still on looks like locust.

Reactions: ctreitzell
Yah I wasn't sure what wood it was. It was all pretty hard cutting. I was thinking white oak but not sure. Here's another pic. View attachment 321300
Yep a closer look you are probably right. I think a locust that size would have thicker bark and more yellow in color appearance fresh cut.

Careful of those vines. Make sure you aren't bringing Poison Ivy into your house.

Pulled the Pine rounds out of the wetlands so they do not soak up a bunch of moisture and placed them on a Pallet on Saturday. Then , last night, Assembled the X-mass present from my Kids. Hopefully will be firing it up to check the fluids and connections later today.

PineStack.jpeg split.jpeg

Pulled the Pine rounds out of the wetlands so they do not soak up a bunch of moisture and placed them on a Pallet on Saturday. Then , last night, Assembled the X-mass present from my Kids. Hopefully will be firing it up to check the fluids and connections later today.

View attachment 321394 View attachment 321395
Congratulations on your new gift, you'll love it.

Today we put in a medium size load of Ironwood, a nice size load of Ash and two loads of Pine. After we put in the firewood, I noticed a few areas on certain tarps that are covering some wood we'll use this January and February had some leaks. I put on some better tarps on both stacks before the rains come in.

Getting to the end of 2023. I had 2 trees taken down in November, a big, sickly maple and a triple white pine (also diseased) that were tall enough to crush the house if they fell. I hated to take them down but they had to go. We're still getting used to the new light in the yard with those 2 trees gone. I bet we are going to end up with close to 3 cords when all is cut, split and stacked. Lots of it pine, but shoulder season here is getting longer and longer, so it's all good.
IMG_2525.jpgIMG_1133 2.JPGIMG_2548.JPG

Getting to the end of 2023. I had 2 trees taken down in November, a big, sickly maple and a triple white pine (also diseased) that were tall enough to crush the house if they fell. I hated to take them down but they had to go. We're still getting used to the new light in the yard with those 2 trees gone. I bet we are going to end up with close to 3 cords when all is cut, split and stacked. Lots of it pine, but shoulder season here is getting longer and longer, so it's all good.
View attachment 321410View attachment 321411View attachment 321412
Plenty of wood in that picture. We use to burn six face cord of shoulder season wood per year, last year we burned twelve face and this year we should reach twelve face again.

Last year burning twelve face saved us five face of hardwood.

Bucked, split, and stacked 2 cord of ash. It needed to get processed, and no shed space so on pallets it goes.
20231227_080633.jpg

Css'd about a face cord of ash this afternoon. It's not real impressive, but I got to play with my new pickaroons. Need to get some more wood here to replenish the outside stacks and have 3 years worth waiting for when we sell next year...
IMG_20231227_152152.jpgIMG_20231227_102502.jpg

Finally got a chance to fire up the new Splitter. It came pre-filled with Engine Oil and Hydro fluid. Checked both just to be safe. Put in some gas, Wouldn't Start (Silly me forgot to turn the switch to On), One pull after that. Made sure there were no leaks etc and everything cycled appropriately. Also got to try out my new Kindling Cracker. Only Crappy part is the weather is not going to cooperate for the next few days.

Css'd about a face cord of ash this afternoon. It's not real impressive, but I got to play with my new pickaroons. Need to get some more wood here to replenish the outside stacks and have 3 years worth waiting for when we sell next year...
View attachment 321471View attachment 321472
who makes those? I have a Stihl pickaroon that I have used a lot. Can't do without it now.

Well, mine's a bit different....not that I have read much of this thread yet.
In 2012 my wife and I purchased a longere just north of Le Mans, France. The plan was to renovate this building and live in it. The attached barn conversion became for sale afterward and we bought that too. Sadly, time has gotten the better of us and the rotted roof structure of the ruin has gotten far too dangerous. So we've started the demo. I have a friend with a cherry picker nacelle and he's recently retired and is very keen to help me.

Here's an approach to the property from last week; gives an idea of the setting...closest neighbour is 700 meters away
LaTouhce_Wide_FromCar_IMG_2102.JPG

2011:
west side
LTC_Front_2011_DSC00223.JPG

South side (12 meters to the peak)
LTC_ElevationFront_018_SouthWall_2012.JPG

East elevation was utterly overgrown
LTC_ElevationRear_01_2012.JPG

2018:
LTC_Barn_Front_2018_IMG_20200216_165442.jpg

We had this big poplar behind this barn removed just after this shot
LTC_Barn_Back_2018_IMG_20181008_193606.jpg

In July 2023 the first tie beam fell; then a second about 3 weeks ago, so we set out to demo before this roof kills something or pulls down the part of the hip connected to the building we live in damages the "good" roof.
LTC_Int_TieBeam2HadFallen_IMG_2009.JPG

I'm in the nacelle. I apprenticed as a carpenter at 18 and then went on to specialize in wood flooring. But I've spent my fair share of time on a roof...even though that was nearly 40 years ago.
LTC_Demo_Nacell_IMG_5310.JPG

Not good!!:
LTC_Nacelle_2TieBeamsGone_IMG_2040.JPG

the adjoining side:
LTC_RoofDemo_SlatesRemoved_Day2__LTBside_IMG_2010.JPG

after a week's demo: mixed feelings, for sure. This is the current state of the place 😨
LTC_Front_WidePortrait_IMG_2095.JPG

There is A LOT of wood on the ground and more to come. We'll get back to the roof teardown in the new year. Cherry picker cannot access the back hip...and these other tie beams could collapse any second. In California we'd be condemned and evicted by the state. Living on edge a bit? indeed

We'll recycle as much as we can, there are some awesome pieces in the mess. I won't burn nails...I never have and I won't start.
LTC_Nacelle_2FirmesDown_IMG_2043.JPG

LTC_TrussesOnTheFloor_IMG_2091.JPG

Last edited:
Went to Tractor Supply and picked up a log catcher for the new Splitter and attached. Had to contact MFG to see what would fit onto the 20 Ton Huskee.. apparently the Countryline catchers fit. Decided to put that on the side with the Hydraulic hoses

catch.jpeg

It's sad to see unique places destroyed but I understand and you have beautiful property but lots of work there---shame that it is in France but let the "old woodslands man know on the forum and he will be "right there" with all his gadgets chopping up the wood--kidding here...lol...Lots of work there you have but so beneficial for the future of your family...Thanks for sharing..clancey

We put in another two loads of pine today, anything that is damp will be ready in a day or two. I had planned on stacking more pine but the rain picked up so maybe that will get done tomorrow.

The boss wanted two new seasonal flags up so two came down and two new ones went up.

It's sad to see unique places destroyed but I understand and you have beautiful property but lots of work there---shame that it is in France but let the "old woodslands man know on the forum and he will be "right there" with all his gadgets chopping up the wood--kidding here...lol...Lots of work there you have but so beneficial for the future of your family...Thanks for sharing..clancey
@clancey thanks for the sympathy
yeah, sad...many, many old buildings here are just melting back into the landscape

the insulation efficiency is a big reason...and sheer cost of maintenance

breaks my heart, BUT we have finally started the works! Hooray

and, we can build the foot print we want
there are a lot of building materials to be recouperated