Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nice work on your firewood @EODMSgt , it's always nice when you're pissing clear.

Yeah, it's always good when you can finally get rehydrated. All these stacks will sit out in the sun until Oct/Nov and then get moved into the shed (when it's a LOT cooler outside). Stacking this way takes up a lot more room however I wanted good air flow between the stacks and the gaps are wide enough to get a wheelbarrow in between.

I still have one and two-thirds cords in the shed left over from last season so this gives me just over seven cords to go into the next burning season with. I'll use up shorts and uglies to start shoulder season. Just wanted to get to this point before summer really kicks in. Now I can throttle back and get some other stuff done. Anything CSS from here on out goes into the 20/21 inventory (I already have about a cord and a half of rounds waiting to be split to start that pile). Everything is hardwood so it's a good place to be at this time of the year.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's always good when you can finally get rehydrated. All these stacks will sit out in the sun until Oct/Nov and then get moved into the shed (when it's a LOT cooler outside). Stacking this way takes up a lot more room however I wanted good air flow between the stacks and the gaps are wide enough to get a wheelbarrow in between.

I still have one and two-thirds cords in the shed left over from last season so this gives me just over seven cords to go into the next burning season with. I'll use up shorts and uglies to start shoulder season. Just wanted to get to this point before summer really kicks in. Now I can throttle back and get some other stuff done. Anything CSS from here on out goes into the 20/21 inventory (I already have about a cord and a half of rounds waiting to be split to start that pile). Everything is hardwood so it's a good place to be at this time of the year.
After I have a coffee, I always have an orange juice and 3 or 4 glasses of ice cold water. I also take five waters out with me when I'm stacking, once I run out of water I'll either get more or call it a day.

I always love reading this thread. Nice work as always @thewoodlands.

Cook anything good recently?
It's always nice watching other people work too. This rain has me behind on my stacking so I'm thinking of taking everything out of the back of the rhino and start stacking in the rain, it looks like the rest of June will be a wet one.

Not me but the wife is making a meal tonight from a recipe we saw on a cooking show. I think my next meal will be the braciole like we did earlier with gnocchi with some spaghetti sauce.

Have you been cooking anything?

My 346xp and a dumpster are arriving today. We are starting to really tear into remodeling the house. I think I'm actually going to wait on the backhoe for the tractor and focus on home repairs.

I always love reading this thread. Nice work as always @thewoodlands.

Cook anything good recently?
This is the recipe the wife is cooking for tonight that we saw on the cooking show,
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups lentils

1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage links

1/4 cup diced pancetta

1 tablespoon Filippo Berio olive oil

1 large leek, white bulb only, cut into thin rings

2 ribs celery, diced

1 large carrot, peeled and diced

2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

1/2 cup dry red wine

2 cups coarsely chopped plum tomatoes

5 cups vegetable or beef broth

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Pour the olive oil into a heavy duty oven to table pot and brown the sausage along with the pancetta over medium high heat. Transfer the sausage and pancetta to a dish and set aside.

Sauté the leek, celery and carrot in the pan drippings until they soften. Stir in the garlic and cook until it softens.

Raise the heat to high, and pour in the wine; allow it to come to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and stir in the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the lentils.

Return the sausage and pancetta to the pan and cover the mixture with the vegetable or beef stock or broth.

Cover the pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.

Sounds like a decent recipe thewoodlands. During the colder months, I make a lentil stew quite often using Italian hot sausages, freezing individual portions for later meals. Can't go wrong with a good lentil stew. Let me know how tonight's recipe comes out.

It's always nice watching other people work too. This rain has me behind on my stacking so I'm thinking of taking everything out of the back of the rhino and start stacking in the rain, it looks like the rest of June will be a wet one.

Not me but the wife is making a meal tonight from a recipe we saw on a cooking show. I think my next meal will be the braciole like we did earlier with gnocchi with some spaghetti sauce.

Have you been cooking anything?

This time of year in Ohio is usually very hot and humid, however it has been quite pleasant recently. Mid 70s and breezy all week.

Once summer rolls around we fire up the Kamado grill almost daily (get to burn wood to cook instead of heat!). I like to take a few splits of cherry and throw it in for extra flavor. Most recently we did some stone fired pizzas. Before that was smoked pork butts and whole chickens. Our oven may get used a dozen times between May-October.

Sounds like a decent recipe thewoodlands. During the colder months, I make a lentil stew quite often using Italian hot sausages, freezing individual portions for later meals. Can't go wrong with a good lentil stew. Let me know how tonight's recipe comes out.
I found out after I posted the recipe that it's not for tonight, but I'll post my thoughts on it when we have it.

@Bushels20 , we just have a propane grill (Weber Spirit E-310 3 burner) that we use during the summer and winter.

Because the plow will need new paint in certain areas, I moved stuff around in the garage so I could get the plow inside so I can paint that when it's raining.

Last edited:
My new to me saw arrived today. It came with a much too long for me 24" B&C, but I ordered an ultra light 16" bar, but it's at the post office. It's too wet to cut today anyway, but maybe tomorrow. I'm looking forward to less weight and easier cutting.

Attachments

• 20190611_154840.jpg
    20190611_154840.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 265
Our temporary dumpster

Edit: the pic looks weird because it's through the screen/window in my house.

Attachments

• 20190611_182054.jpg
    20190611_182054.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 270
You stay busy SpaceBus, I think you posted what you'll be doing but can you refresh me on it.

Indeed, we are staying busy. We tore down a nasty shed built onto the house many years before we bought it last fall. The house also needs siding and some framing repairs. There's going to be a lot of building waste going in there.

SpaceBus I am in the process of finishing my master bath/closet. We started in Feb. we removed two closets in the master and put in a wall sectioning off about 9 feet wide by 23 feet across. Our master bedroom was about 23 x 23 before we started. We have done everything from the demo to the plumbing trim framing etc. The only thing me and my father didn't completely do was the all tile shower. I had a friend put in the showert pan and tile the walls and ceiling. Between work, doing the family stuff keeping up with the outside stuff firewood, mulch, mowing, I'm ready for the master bath thing to be done. We just have trim, doors and some little odds and ends to finish then we should be done other than fixing the few spots in the basement where we accessed plumbing and electrical. Good luck with your projects.

SpaceBus I am in the process of finishing my master bath/closet. We started in Feb. we removed two closets in the master and put in a wall sectioning off about 9 feet wide by 23 feet across. Our master bedroom was about 23 x 23 before we started. We have done everything from the demo to the plumbing trim framing etc. The only thing me and my father didn't completely do was the all tile shower. I had a friend put in the showert pan and tile the walls and ceiling. Between work, doing the family stuff keeping up with the outside stuff firewood, mulch, mowing, I'm ready for the master bath thing to be done. We just have trim, doors and some little odds and ends to finish then we should be done other than fixing the few spots in the basement where we accessed plumbing and electrical. Good luck with your projects.

The siding on our house is 40 years old and the sheathing failed in some areas so framing must be replaced on the south corners. Most of the windows need replacing. There were balconies on the second floor, but they are trashed. Upstairs all of the wood floors are creaky and cupped badly, but it's all spruce, so no surprise there. We only have one bathroom, so thankfully everything is functional, but it needs a renovation as well. Basically it's a complete restoration at this point. It's worse than we bargained for, but worth it in the end. An ocean view on 25 acres!

Sounds like a lot SpaceBus but no matter what a house seems always like a work in progress. The 25 acres and ocean view sounds amazing. It always gets done one day at a time. All great journeys start with a single step. It sounds good right?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Today I went to put the 16" bar and chain on my new to me 346 and I just couldn't get it on. I ended up breaking the slotted head on the adjuster and took it to the dealer. $25 later and it's working fine, apparently the previous owner put a 3/8" sprocket on the saw for some reason, I went back with 325. I ran a tank and a half through the saw today, and it's a much more enjoyable tool for bucking than the 460. The little 346 so far hasn't bogged down in any of the logs I cut today, and that ended up being about half a cord. If this thing ever ends up giving me any mechanical issues I'll probably send it out and have someone make it into a hot rod saw, not that I really need the power... I'll post up some pics tomorrow, the sun dropped behind the trees so pics didn't turn out.

Sounds like a lot SpaceBus but no matter what a house seems always like a work in progress. The 25 acres and ocean view sounds amazing. It always gets done one day at a time. All great journeys start with a single step. It sounds good right?

It's actually even more special than that. My wife and I have been friends for many years before we became the way we are now. Around the time I was getting medically retired from the army her life was also imploding. We decided to try and live in an RV until we found a place we wanted to live. It wasn't easy, but I couldn't have done it with anyone else since my wife is also my best friend. For two years we lived in a 36' bus with three dogs on my friend's land so we could save up money to go anywhere. After countless searches on land watch and many debates over various states we ended up finding what we wanted in Maine. So far it's been almost eight months here, and we actually drove up from NC to see the house a year ago.

I come from a military family and have lived many places, even in Europe. You couldn't pay me to move anywhere else. One of these days we won't be busting our humps fixing this place, I look forward to that!

Managed to stack the the pile I bucked and split yesterday before the rain came.. There's probably half cord, maybe more, bucked ready to split when the weather turns. I'll probably need another full sun day before I can venture into the woods with the tractor. The area I graded was still a bit damp today after yesterday's sun.

That little 346 is a doll for this small to medium sized stuff I've been dealing with lately. Honestly it will probably cut 80% of the trees on my property with the 16" bar. I should have taken a pic of the ultra light Japanese made bar mounted on it.

I've almost finished cleaning up the shed demo. Managed to salvage some 2x6's, 2x4's, and a few pieces of plywood for firewood racks and such.

Attachments

• DSCF0209.JPG
    DSCF0209.JPG
    514.5 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCF0204.JPG
    DSCF0204.JPG
    498.1 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCF0206.JPG
    DSCF0206.JPG
    538 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCF0208.JPG
    DSCF0208.JPG
    539.8 KB · Views: 256
Went out driving around in the rain yesterday afternoon and spotted a nice maple that had come down recently. Drove up this morning to get a better look and started bucking some rounds from it. The base is about 50 or so feet from the forest service road down a 30-degree slope. The main trunk of the tree is about 50-60 feet long and after about the first fifteen feet, the slope drops off steeply. I only bucked seven rounds to start as it was a lot of work to roll them up through the woods to the truck. One of them rolled about 100 feet farther down slope towards the river however I still went and got it. I hate to waste something I cut.

Not much in the big picture for today but I'm happy. Large dead and down hardwood trees in healthy condition aren't always easy to scrounge so I was stoked when I found this one. The largest round I bucked was just under 20" in diameter and none of them had any rot. I'll work on the rest of the tree as time (and health) permit and as long as no one else poaches what is left. I don't think anyone will, due to the time of the year and the amount of work it takes to get the rounds uphill to the road, however it is possible.

Attachments

• 20190614_095645.jpg
    20190614_095645.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 20190614_092943.jpg
    20190614_092943.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 20190614_092954.jpg
    20190614_092954.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 255
We bought some new boots today (East Ridge by Danner) so I stacked some pine until the rain started coming down harder, hopefully this area will be finished before the end of the day Sunday.

Attachments

• 101_9281.JPG
    101_9281.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 101_9282.JPG
    101_9282.JPG
    359.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 101_9283.JPG
    101_9283.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 101_9284.JPG
    101_9284.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 101_9285.JPG
    101_9285.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 101_9286.JPG
    101_9286.JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 249
I finished stacking what was left of the split pine, I'm almost done with the second stack but will need to split more pine. We have some wind gust today and the pine rounds are close enough to a rotten dead standing pine that I'll finish it tomorrow.

It looks like we'll have some nice weather coming in starting on Sunday so I'm hoping that the last stack is finished before Tuesday. Once that is finished, that will give us two years of shoulder season wood up.

After the above work is finished, I'll get the stacking area for the ash ready and once that is done hopefully we can do some milling.

Attachments

• 101_9287.JPG
    101_9287.JPG
    458.3 KB · Views: 236
My saw got hot and didn't want to idle after felling a dozen small or medium trees, so I'll start bucking when the sun gets a bit lower. I don't mind the break. Speaking of breaks my non insulated super loggers came the other day. I'm getting them broken in nicely in the woods cutting.