Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think I got hosed on that 346. I went back to start bucking logs around 1430 and the saw won't start. It's a used saw, but I had hoped for a bit more life out of it. Perhaps I can send it to one of the hot rod saw guys that work the little engines over.

I think I got hosed on that 346. I went back to start bucking logs around 1430 and the saw won't start. It's a used saw, but I had hoped for a bit more life out of it. Perhaps I can send it to one of the hot rod saw guys that work the little engines over.
That sucks @SpaceBus , hopefully someone can figure out what's wrong with it.

It's the weekend, so back to the 460 for now. I left some messages with some saw porting guys. The weather might be crap for cutting anyways.
We're in for about four or five days of nice weather if they're correct on the forecast. Hopefully this nice weather allows me to get caught up with my stacking, because of the weather I'm about a month behind.

The 460 will get the job done even though it's a heavier saw.

We're in for about four or five days of nice weather if they're correct on the forecast. Hopefully this nice weather allows me to get caught up with my stacking, because of the weather I'm about a month behind.

The 460 will get the job done even though it's a heavier saw.

I marked all the logs with the 150-TC today so I don't have to work so hard with the 460. We've probably still had more rainy days than sunny days lately. This week was like that so we worked inside the house

Reactions: heavy hammer
I marked all the logs with the 150-TC today so I don't have to work so hard with the 460. We've probably still had more rainy days than sunny days lately. This week was like that so we worked inside the house
This forecast is southwest of us by an hour or more by car, hopefully it stays there.

Heavy rainfall will be possible across the entire area Thursday into
Thursday night as a couple of moisture-laden systems track through
the area. Rainfall amounts of one to three inches look possible at
this time.

I have been working inside on the bathroom this weekend finishing up on installing the toilet vanity faucet, etc. Which is good because other than Friday it has been non stop rain here. They are calling for rain the next three days as well. II need some dry days to get this wood moved and the logs cut split and stackedd.

I did three loads of pine today and the rest will be finished tomorrow.

Attachments

• 101_9292.JPG
    101_9292.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 101_9293.JPG
    101_9293.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 101_9294.JPG
    101_9294.JPG
    374.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 101_9295.JPG
    101_9295.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 255
I did three loads of pine today and the rest will be finished tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, how long are you seasoning your pine for? I haven't burned any softwoods in about a decade however I have a couple spruce widowmakers on my acreage and I need to do something with them. I figured I would CSS them intermixed into the 20/21 hardwood and that should give them long enough to season.

Just out of curiosity, how long are you seasoning your pine for? I haven't burned any softwoods in about a decade however I have a couple spruce widowmakers on my acreage and I need to do something with them. I figured I would CSS them intermixed into the 20/21 hardwood and that should give them long enough to season.
I like white pine c/s/s for a full year, we do the same if we have hemlock.

All of our pine for this year was split last spring but four face cord was stacked this spring. I'll clean the covers (tarps) and get them on this years shoulder season pine.

I like white pine c/s/s for a full year, we do the same if we have hemlock.

All of our pine for this year was split last spring but four face cord was stacked this spring. I'll clean the covers (tarps) and get them on this years shoulder season pine.

That's about what I figured. With all the moisture we have here on the east coast, unless kiln-dried, I prefer not to burn any softwoods with less than a year of seasoning. Luckily I have plenty of hardwood for this next season so the spruce will have a lot of time in the sun to dry.

That's about what I figured. With all the moisture we have here on the east coast, unless kiln-dried, I prefer not to burn any softwoods with less than a year of seasoning. Luckily I have plenty of hardwood for this next season so the spruce will have a lot of time in the sun to dry.
Usually I would stack our hardwood first but because we cleared 42 trees out of the area the new garage was built, I didn't get our second year of s/s wood up last fall.

Last year I was able to stack ten face cord of hardwood (just over 3 cord) in the fall which at the time gave us four plus years of wood. I'm hoping all the ash I c/s will be stacked by or before the end of July, that should be another six to eight face cord and then maybe a small break before I start felling more ash.

Any windstorms this summer could mean more work especially in the brook so if that happens then some of the above will take longer.

I wished you lived closer, I have plenty of pine you could have.

I wished you lived closer, I have plenty of pine you could have.

There is plenty of pine here, I just don't burn it as there is enough hardwood. The only reason I plan on burning the spruce is due to having to cut them down anyway.

But thank you for your generous offer. Now if you have any oak to spare....

There is plenty of pine here, I just don't burn it as there is enough hardwood. The only reason I plan on burning the spruce is due to having to cut them down anyway.

But thank you for your generous offer. Now if you have any oak to spare....
No oak on our property but I did scrounge about a face cord, I seasoned it for four years and some of the splits still spit water back at me when we burned it, I'll take beech or sugar maple over oak just because it seasons quicker.

Reactions: EODMSgt
Very true. I like burning oak but it's a pain since it needs it's own separate stack to season. Like you, I'll take all the beech and maple I can get.
Last year I did get one small beech that came down but would like more. I have a nice size beech in an area I call up top which looked dead last year, I think a pine girdled (I hope that's the correct word) the bottom. I had forgot about it until this conversation, I'll check it out this week.

split another three loads and then stacked it, after I run some splitter trash deeper into the woulds, I'll finish the stack.

I had noticed this chippy so I stopped and gave it some of my granola bar.

Attachments

• 101_9296.JPG
    101_9296.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 101_9297.JPG
    101_9297.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 101_9298.JPG
    101_9298.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 274
  • 101_9301.JPG
    101_9301.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 101_9300.JPG
    101_9300.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 101_9299.JPG
    101_9299.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 242
  • 101_9302.JPG
    101_9302.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 195
split another three loads and then stacked it, after I run some splitter trash deeper into the woulds, I'll finish the stack.

Nice!

I went out early and managed to get another 11 rounds bucked from that downed maple and hauled up the slope and home. There's well over a cord still out there between the rest of this maple, a smaller maple and a beech that came down when this big-un toppled. Might work on them from time to time or may wait for cooler weather. In addition to the heat and where these are situated down-slope, the black files and mosquitoes are the worst I've seen in over a decade.

Attachments

• 20190617_101157.jpg
    20190617_101157.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 218
Nice!

I went out early and managed to get another 11 rounds bucked from that downed maple and hauled up the slope and home. There's well over a cord still out there between the rest of this maple, a smaller maple and a beech that came down when this big-un toppled. Might work on them from time to time or may wait for cooler weather. In addition to the heat and where these are situated down-slope, the black files and mosquitoes are the worst I've seen in over a decade.
Those are some nice size rounds, I hear ya on the skeeters. I just came back from dumping some splitter trash, mostly bark on a low spot in the trail and the skeeters were horrible.

It's still wet in parts of our woods but the trails have firmed up nice.

My wife and I just finished rebuilding the eastern wall of the house after a four day marathon of 12+ hour days. We managed to get the Typar stapled up right as the rain came in. We are by no means carpenters and this is the first time either of us have done work on this level. I replaced about a dozen studs, the whole sill plate on the east edge and around the corners at least a few feet, half the sliding glass door frame, and shimmed other studs that had rotten bottoms. The house was built in 1976 and apparently the builders at the time (confirmed by one still around town) though it would be great to put poly on the inside of the studs, so this caused most of the issues. Also the house had a weird trim all the way around the slab, but grass grew up over this edge and under the flashing... The plastic just caused the insulation to hold all of that water. There were grass roots growing on top of the slab in places. Anyway, I'm exhausted and taking it easy while it rains all weekend. The next phase will be to rent some scaffolding or a boom lift and remove the passive solar wall and continue re-sheathing and repairing the framing. I went to Hammond Lumber twice a day for the first three days. We have a Marvin Ultimate triple pane casement window to replace our old dying casement window. It was quite expensive, but I never want to do any of this again. I at most am willing to redo the roof and replace siding one more time before I die. We will slowly replace all of the sliding glass doors and windows with Marvin Ultimate products with extruded aluminum exterior framing to achieve this goal.

We filled one 12 yard roll back dumpster already and had another dropped off. It's been a really busy few weeks and I'm not sad for the break. Pic 242 shows the rot at the top of the south east corner of the house before we cut it all out. Basically the sliding glass door and the window framing were holding up the southeast corner. All three corner studs were completely rotten.

Attachments

• DSCF0233.JPG
    DSCF0233.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF0242.JPG
    DSCF0242.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCF0274.JPG
    DSCF0274.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF0284.JPG
    DSCF0284.JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF0286.JPG
    DSCF0286.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCF0288.JPG
    DSCF0288.JPG
    399.4 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF0289.JPG
    DSCF0289.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCF0290.JPG
    DSCF0290.JPG
    311.8 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCF0291.JPG
    DSCF0291.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF0292.JPG
    DSCF0292.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 213
Before we got going on the house I cut and split quite a bit of wood. There's still about a cord worth of bucked rounds still in the woods. After it dries out again and we get the house buttoned up a bit more I'll finish processing everything. The 346 was doing so well until it decided to stop working.

Attachments

• DSCF0210.JPG
    DSCF0210.JPG
    475.6 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCF0211.JPG
    DSCF0211.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF0212.JPG
    DSCF0212.JPG
    550.2 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCF0213.JPG
    DSCF0213.JPG
    566.5 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF0214.JPG
    DSCF0214.JPG
    544 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF0215.JPG
    DSCF0215.JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCF0216.JPG
    DSCF0216.JPG
    493.9 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF0219.JPG
    DSCF0219.JPG
    531.3 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCF0220.JPG
    DSCF0220.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 176
Basswood
Looking it up on the BTU charts makes it close to white pine, willow and poplar. Just split 3/4 cord and under cover for early fall/late spring. We'll see how it goes. Wondering how dry it will be by sept october. Never worked with it before. Maybe need to wait for next may. It was interesting to cut. The compression strength is close to nill. Where the saw is in the pict was about it, maybe a little further, 5-6" into the top. The rest had to be bottom up or from the side. I thought the chain was dull. No. Squeezed in the cut. Wierd.

Attachments

• 0602191441_HDR.jpg
    0602191441_HDR.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 238
Before we got going on the house I cut and split quite a bit of wood. There's still about a cord worth of bucked rounds still in the woods. After it dries out again and we get the house buttoned up a bit more I'll finish processing everything. The 346 was doing so well until it decided to stop working.
Nice work @SpaceBus , you sure stay busy.