Work Done In 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We put a small load of Ironwood (American Hophornbeam) in today
I cut a dozen trees on Monday and today I pulled most of them down. I'll post up some pics after I get the last few down with the winch.
I take it the wife is feeling better, what type of trees did you get?

We put a small load of Ironwood (American Hophornbeam) in today

I take it the wife is feeling better, what type of trees did you get?
Mostly some small dying fir with a couple of decent spruce logs. Monday a friend came to help and yesterday my wife kept an eye on me while I pulled the trees down with the winch. Somehow I even convinced her to pull the rope and engage the winch. In a week or two she will be able to help me work a bit rather than supervise.

I got a bit more Mulberry split up today before I had to go to work, I’m not sure I will get the rest done before it gets snowed over Thursday night - Saturday. Hoping that the wind will take the leaner down, its cut at the base but held up in the Hedge trees.

F7AFF432-BCF0-437F-976B-58EFA8DE372B.jpeg
5C07EF93-4C83-4EF0-B9E0-897F31751AB9.jpeg
88DAA602-BE3A-4CB6-8836-A625D0F521FD.jpeg
AB1DFA31-1EAB-4553-AB2D-C2847DD8923F.jpeg

With our area in for some possible snow (the new forecast is 7 inches) I decided that it was time to check some of our trails. Everything was fine until the west end of our biggest ravine, mother nature took a cherry down so I opened it up and brought some of the rounds home.

Picture 9989 is one of our main trails, and the rest are of the ravine or looking down in it.

Attachments

• 101_9989.JPG
    101_9989.JPG
    652.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 101_9990.JPG
    101_9990.JPG
    612.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 101_9991.JPG
    101_9991.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 101_9993.JPG
    101_9993.JPG
    452.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 101_9994.JPG
    101_9994.JPG
    399 KB · Views: 189
  • 101_9995.JPG
    101_9995.JPG
    565.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 101_9997.JPG
    101_9997.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 199
648 is after Monday
649 is after Tuesday
654 is After dragging down the last few logs this morning. Most of the big logs are fir and have heartwood rot at the base. Most of these logs will probably end up as firewood. I'll probably get several dozen more by the end of winter.

Attachments

• DSCF0648.JPG
    DSCF0648.JPG
    573.1 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF0649.JPG
    DSCF0649.JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCF0654.JPG
    DSCF0654.JPG
    538.2 KB · Views: 188
I'm thinking about using some of the 4-6" diameter stem portions from the top of the trees to make a log cradle.

its cut at the base but held up in the Hedge trees.
I love the way the Hedge branches; They look spooky, like something that you would see on Halloween night that would send shivers up your spine. :oops: >>

Reactions: JimBear
That was a big Mulberry...
For the base being hollowed out it was surprisingly solid from there up. I have a couple on my brothers farm that have to come out due to a new fence being are pretty healthy also

I love the way the Hedge branches; They look spooky, like something that you would see on Halloween night that would send shivers up your spine. :oops: >>

Those Witch’s fingers are pretty stout, they grab anything close & refuse to let go. The low hangers that I don’t see usually send a few curses up when they rake across my face.

Reactions: Woody Stover
648 is after Monday
649 is after Tuesday
654 is After dragging down the last few logs this morning. Most of the big logs are fir and have heartwood rot at the base. Most of these logs will probably end up as firewood. I'll probably get several dozen more by the end of winter.
How many stumps will you be grinding up when you're done felling?

All of them, so about 15 currently. I'll probably wait until I can see them better before I try to grind them. We got 6" today.
We received about the same, ours was not a heavy snow.

AccuWeather is saying we could another 6-10 Saturday and Sunday.

We received about the same, ours was not a heavy snow.

AccuWeather is saying we could another 6-10 Saturday and Sunday.
Yeah, I saw that we are probably going to get another 6" on Sunday. I was hoping to get some more trees, but I have to put the blower back on.

Didn't get anything cut, split or stacked but did redo how I'm carrying the gear on the ATV. Too much weight on the composite rack on the front of the Polaris (and a pain when accessing the compartment underneath) so everything is now secured on the steel back rack.

20200111_162817.jpg
20200111_162758 2.jpg

Didn't get anything cut, split or stacked but did redo how I'm carrying the gear on the ATV. Too much weight on the composite rack on the front of the Polaris (and a pain when accessing the compartment underneath) so everything is now secured on the steel back rack.

View attachment 255366View attachment 255367
Did you fabricate the chainsaw holster? I need something like that for my tractor.

After scraping down the driveway with the plow on the tractor, we put in two loads of firewood before the possible 8 inches of snow we might get.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Me and the labs filled the garage back up last night before the rain and snow hit. Around 530 pm or so I noticed my electric fence for the dogs one of the red lights was out the one that shows you have a continuous loop. They both pretty much know their boundaries but I didn't like that it was off, so me and the younger lab with my head lamp were able to find the break and had it fixed within a couple of hours. Nothing better than looking for a a needle in a hay stack in the dark. I'm glad I was able to find it and repair it before the four inches of snow then the freezing rain showed up, it would not have been a fun day. Plus I have a garage full of dry locust for the coming cold this week.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We might be getting 8" here tonight and tomorrow morning. I'll be starting at 0500 tomorrow morning for getting it cleared. In anticipation I made sure my house is ready so all I will have to do is run the tractor blower and the walk behind.

Reactions: heavy hammer