Work Done In 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
got almost 3" of sneet - snow & sleet mix, cleared 4 driveways off with the kioti.
Care to detail how you were able to domesticate the Kioti? ;)

kennyp2339 I wish he could splice cable and help haul wood. He was just running the perimeter with me to find the bad spot. My older lab had enough of being outside after about three hours, but my younger never runs out of energy. We are now getting snow with temps falling so we shall see what we end up with by tomorrow morning.

nothing crazy but cut up some dead wood. Maple, oak, cherry before the show came.
20200118_162028.jpg

Hey guys I apologize this post probabaly doesn’t really belong here but not sure where to put it, for arguments sake I did some work cleaning my stove! I did a clean out on the stove today, last one was December 1st so it’s been about 2 months. This is what I got out of the pipe, very fine, powdery, thinking right about a cup maybe a smidge more or less. This is from December 1st 24/7 burning. I think this is pretty good but still a newbie so wanted to ask, is this a good amount or to much etc and also can I just burn this in next fire?
A8C1B2D5-FAC3-45F8-B4E6-97495CCFC178.jpeg

F0DBDF98-ED30-4260-95C9-EA5EEEA69A06.jpeg

This is from December 1st 24/7 burning. I think this is pretty good but still a newbie so wanted to ask, is this a good amount or to much etc and also can I just burn this in next fire?
you looking good, you did drop the baffle board right? sometimes people forget and theres a bunch of crap on top of it. Yes burn away, that stuff wont cause any harm.

Today I used the snowblower after doing some roof raking and then it was back on the tractor for some plowing of the trails around the property the house is on, we have some nice walking trails again.

We ended up with about 8 inches or so and some cold temps. After today we are supposed to get a warm up of temps in the 40's for awhile. Just when I thought the mud might be done for a little.

We ended up with about 8 inches or so and some cold temps. After today we are supposed to get a warm up of temps in the 40's for awhile. Just when I thought the mud might be done for a little.
I'm not looking forward to this warm weather either. I'll probably end up with an ice sheet....

I'm not looking forward to this warm weather either. I'll probably end up with an ice sheet....
We're in for above freezing temps this week with some possible rain coming in this weekend, it might be time the sander gets put on the tractor.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Gathered about 3 cords today, green box elder in the first load, followed by 2 loads of laying dead cherry and quaking aspen. Stacking the box elder to season for another year before stacking it in the woodshed.

Gathered about 3 cords today, green box elder in the first load, followed by 2 loads of laying dead cherry and quaking aspen. Stacking the box elder to season for another year before stacking it in the woodshed.

still trying to get 3 years ahead, have enough wood for this year and next, now working on following year. I bought a mini excavator and dump trailer so the gathering is going much faster.

still trying to get 3 years ahead, have enough wood for this year and next, now working on following year. I bought a mini excavator and dump trailer so the gathering is going much faster.
I'm pretty sure all those wood can be dry by next fall, if you split and stack now..

I cleaned some chains up and then sharpened them on the grinder, hopefully tomorrow I can find a damaged tree that needs felling. Tomorrow we'll put in a few loads of firewood, AccuWeather is saying we could get 6-10 inches of snow.

I'm hoping to get some wood in this weekend in between the rain.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We put in two loads of firewood today after I plowed the driveway, we still have six full face cord left that we had planned on burning this winter.

Looking at the temps for February, I don't think we'll even get to some of our better wood. About two years ago, I s/s some not so great wood, we've burned almost three face cord of that this year because of the warmer winter.

I did get two chainsaws ready for tomorrow which I plan using to fell some dead pine. I'll split it and then burn it in the outside fireplace this week, I have enough dry pine that I can get the fire going and then add the newer dead pine.

Finally got out to the splitter today. Working on some big 26-30” white oak rounds so didn’t get a whole lot in the shed. Very time consuming noodling rounds into 1/4s just so I can lift them on the splitter. Kind of sucks actually but I’m not going to be picky when the tree guy pulls down the driveway with a dump trailer full of wood he is trying to get rid of. If I had someone to run the splitter I could use my my mini excavator to do all the heavy lifting, however, if I sat around waiting for help all the time nothing would ever get done.

I felled a dead pine today and after bucking it up, I moved it over to the fireplace where I'll split it and then burn it.
104_0012.JPG

Attachments

• 104_0008.JPG
    104_0008.JPG
    696.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 104_0009.JPG
    104_0009.JPG
    500.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 104_0013.JPG
    104_0013.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 104_0014.JPG
    104_0014.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 173
It has not been a bad winter at all so far. I have been burning here and there but I'm not going through as much as I normally would this time of year. It has been a tough winter to use the tractor since nothing will freeze, and I don't feel like tearing up my yard.

I split that rotting pine I felled and bucked up yesterday, hopefully all this chit will be burned by tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

• 104_0016.JPG
    104_0016.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 163
  • 104_0017.JPG
    104_0017.JPG
    526.8 KB · Views: 164
I felled a dead pine today and after bucking it up, I moved it over to the fireplace where I'll split it and then burn it.
Even in the dead of winter, you chuck enough wood to put those TV woodchucks to shame. ==c

Got a couple loads of what i thought was all elm today. No limbs or bark so hard to tell what it is. Lots more where it came from...new cutting land.

Attachments

• 20200201_125603.jpg
    20200201_125603.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 153
The dead pine I split the other day was put in the reducer today, by 12:30 this afternoon all the splits were in fireplace and throwing some nice heat. Picture 0017 is what I started with and the rest are from the start to finish.

Tomorrow I'll look for two Ash that I can fell on Monday, have a good and safe Super Bowl Sunday.

My best guess on a winner and score is,

San Fran - 24
K.C. - 17
104_0022.JPG

Attachments

• 104_0017.JPG
    104_0017.JPG
    526.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 104_0018.JPG
    104_0018.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 104_0020.JPG