Work Done In 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
[B]EODMSgt[/B], nice score, wood piles look great. SpaceBus I like the alpaca, I'm sure you will be able to fins another rescue. My grandmother had a farm and she had a few rescue ponies, and goats. Keep digging on the net you will find something. Unfortunately there are plenty of animals out there people don't want anymore for one reason or another. I spent the weekend mowing and today I moved three more grapple loads to the area close to the house. I'm trying to free up room in the woods for the logs I have to cut. The area I have near the house holds about 3 cords when full, plus it is nice and close to the house to keep the garage full. I didn't get any pics since in between mowing and moving wood I was playing baseball with the girls. My 3 year old is able to hit already from being pitched to underhand. The dogs played ball retriever/ outfielder to help. All in all a good weekend to be outside

I had planned on mowing the yard for the first time this year just before the hot weather hit but didn't, since we're on sand the lack of water and the heat would've done more harm than good so today I finally mowed the yard.

After I was done and cleaned the air filter out with air, it started to rain.

Didn't get as much done as I had hoped today but did get two ash bucked and brought home. After using the woodstove last night and this morning (it was only 34 outside this morning), I'm still thinking about firewood (ok, I'm always thinking about firewood). Dropped a standing dead ash (the right side leaner) and then bucked the standing dead ash I cut down yesterday evening. There's another standing dead ash I want to get but ran out of time today (last pic, the one in the center with the long split up the trunk).

Attachments

• DSC00887.JPG
    DSC00887.JPG
    432.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC00888.JPG
    DSC00888.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC00889.JPG
    DSC00889.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC00886.JPG
    DSC00886.JPG
    401.1 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC00890.JPG
    DSC00890.JPG
    336.6 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC00891.JPG
    DSC00891.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC00892.JPG
    DSC00892.JPG
    413.6 KB · Views: 146
Didn't get as much done as I had hoped today but did get two ash bucked and brought home. After using the woodstove last night and this morning (it was only 34 outside this morning), I'm still thinking about firewood (ok, I'm always thinking about firewood). Dropped a standing dead ash (the right side leaner) and then bucked the standing dead ash I cut down yesterday evening. There's another standing dead ash I want to get but ran out of time today (last pic, the one in the center with the long split up the trunk).
It looks like you had some nice days to be in the woods, we had 34.8 this morning. We talked about putting some wood in tonight but decided we would use the propane fireplace or the furnace if needed.

We had 42 Monday morning and today we had close to 90. Heat one day air conditioning the next.

I was out spraying thistles today & ran across a couple of dead standing American Elms, a Cherry the top was rotting off & a limb on an Ash that needed trimmed. Elm is on the front, Cherry is on the back & the Ash is in front of the Cherry. I still have to work up the second Elm.
0BF8DA33-8771-4600-9C7E-D69B88B8FF81.jpeg
2EDDA961-7634-4793-95FB-9494B31CDE9E.jpeg
234EB79E-6E08-46A4-9F08-EBAC9801764B.jpeg

Was able to get out for a few minutes yesterday morning and took down a couple standing dead (ash and maple). Not sure how I missed the ash before as it was near a trail but it was a decent score. Still have another ash to take down and found a few more standing dead (beech and birch) but won't have time to tackle those for a while. Almost out of room for logs/rounds anyway and need to start splitting soon.

Attachments

• 20200602_102950.jpg
    20200602_102950.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 20200602_104052.jpg
    20200602_104052.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 20200602_111829.jpg
    20200602_111829.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200602_113056.jpg
    20200602_113056.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC00902.JPG
    DSC00902.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 134
Cleaned up a gift from mother nature. Cottonwood...not on the top of my favorite smelling woods.
20200603_074916.jpg
20200604_174236.jpg

The leaves and bark look just like Basswood, but then I saw your end grain which is way different. A guy on woodweb said it smells like "bovine urine"

The leaves and bark look just like Basswood, but then I saw your end grain which is way different. A guy on woodweb said it smells like "bovine urine"
The smell reminds me of my childhood on the farm... Got 3 of them in my backyard. Looks like it snows every summer.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Cut up a large red oak stump yesterday in preparation for the first two loads of fill for my wood processing area expansion project. I took that tree down about 8 years ago and the stump was still a beast. Spread the two loads of fill yesterday evening and made the decision to take down an oak that I would have had to build a well around. Hated to drop it but it'll make using the area easier. Dropped the oak this afternoon and got some of it bucked. Will have to pull the rest out of the treeline for processing and cut up another stump. It'll be great firewood in three years. Hopefully I'll get some more fill next week.

Attachments

• DSC00937.JPG
    DSC00937.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC00938.JPG
    DSC00938.JPG
    425.9 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC00942.JPG
    DSC00942.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC00943.JPG
    DSC00943.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC00944.JPG
    DSC00944.JPG
    379.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC00945.JPG
    DSC00945.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC00946.JPG
    DSC00946.JPG
    432.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC00947.JPG
    DSC00947.JPG
    390.1 KB · Views: 143
Cut up a large red oak stump yesterday in preparation for the first two loads of fill for my wood processing area expansion project. I took that tree down about 8 years ago and the stump was still a beast. Spread the two loads of fill yesterday evening and made the decision to take down an oak that I would have had to build a well around. Hated to drop it but it'll make using the area easier. Dropped the oak this afternoon and got some of it bucked. Will have to pull the rest out of the treeline for processing and cut up another stump. It'll be great firewood in three years. Hopefully I'll get some more fill next week.
That's a big boulder you have there...

Reactions: EODMSgt
That will make for some nice firewood, your stacking area expansion is looking good.

Reactions: JimBear and EODMSgt
That will make for some nice firewood, your stacking area expansion is looking good.

Thanks. The things we do to support our obsession with firewood....

The oak will be great for the 22-23 season, like having money in the bank. I had hoped to finish dragging the rest of it out of the woods and buck it into rounds however after getting poured on twice with more storms in the forecast, called it a day. Got some of it done but still have the top to finish and then the expected mess of branches to chip at a later date. Not complaining though, that's some prime oak.

Attachments

• DSC00948.JPG
    DSC00948.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Thanks. The things we do to support our obsession with firewood....

The oak will be great for the 22-23 season, like having money in the bank. I had hoped to finish dragging the rest of it out of the woods and buck it into rounds however after getting poured on twice with more storms in the forecast, called it a day. Got some of it done but still have the top to finish and then the expected mess of branches to chip at a later date. Not complaining though, that's some prime oak.
After most of the rain/storms missed us we finally are getting some well deserved rain with the temps dropping to 58 from 77.

Some of the heavy rain is just south of us by 10 & 20 miles but we'll take what mother nature is giving us.

Well, 99% of my sawmill finally got here yesterday, so I got to assembling it today. I've gotten the basic 4 meter setup fully assembled. The vendor forgot a couple of brackets, so I'll have to call them on Monday and then I can make it a full 6 meter mill once they get here. Tomorrow I'll post some pics once I get the saw mounted and get a log mounted.

Well, 99% of my sawmill finally got here yesterday, so I got to assembling it today. I've gotten the basic 4 meter setup fully assembled. The vendor forgot a couple of brackets, so I'll have to call them on Monday and then I can make it a full 6 meter mill once they get here. Tomorrow I'll post some pics once I get the saw mounted and get a log mounted.
Yes we need pics or we are going to think you fibbing to us. Pics or it didn’t happen. Lol.

Got the 4m kit functional today and got the hang of operating the mill. Unfortunately the bar nose steering magnet fell off somehow, hopefully the vendor can get me another, or two. I made some rough 2x4's just to get a feel for everything. I ran about one tank of fuel today, the 395 is thirsty. The chains are Oregon ripping chains, but they aren't particularly sharp. I'll be touching them up soon. After getting the mill together I realized the Logosol emblem on the rail was meant to face the other way, but only after getting the rail assembled. First order of business is going to be making some barn flooring and then lots of 2x4's to make scaffolding.

I'm not very good at figuring out exactly how much higher/lower the butt end needs to be. The manual just kind of says to make sure one end is higher and doesn't really elaborate. For now I'm not even annoyed I can't put it out to the full 6m yet since the curve for 4m is pretty steep.

Attachments

• DSCF0776.JPG
    DSCF0776.JPG
    489.9 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF0777.JPG
    DSCF0777.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF0778.JPG
    DSCF0778.JPG
    434.6 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF0779.JPG
    DSCF0779.JPG
    514 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF0780.JPG
    DSCF0780.JPG
    543.5 KB · Views: 138
Nice mill Spacebus! EODMSgt nice work. The area is comong along nicely. I just ended up mowing yesterday and spent all morning helping a friend put in his electric fence for his dog. Not and overly fun Sunday morning but it helped a buddy out.

I'm not very good at figuring out exactly how much higher/lower the butt end needs to be. The manual just kind of says to make sure one end is higher and doesn't really elaborate
I think that it recommends one end be higher to help with feeding (downhill works better than uphill). More slope is better. My assessment is based on what the book I got with my Granberg & what other chain mill using have stated. That setup looks good, keep those chains sharp, milling is hard on saws no need to push it any harder than you need to. Also make sure you check your fuel after a cut to assess usage, it sucks to run out mid-cut. Most of the stuff I have read suggests to let your saw cool down for 15-30 seconds after each cut depending on air temps.

I think that it recommends one end be higher to help with feeding (downhill works better than uphill). More slope is better. My assessment is based on what the book I got with my Granberg & what other chain mill using have stated. That setup looks good, keep those chains sharp, milling is hard on saws no need to push it any harder than you need to. Also make sure you check your fuel after a cut to assess usage, it sucks to run out mid-cut. Most of the stuff I have read suggests to let your saw cool down for 15-30 seconds after each cut depending on air temps.
I get plenty of breaks between cuts from adjusting the log beds or whatever. I wasn't worrying about speed today and could have turned the saw off while making adjustments and stuff. The reason for having one end higher than the other is because you get a lot of waste otherwise, at least that's what I discovered. They really weren't that sharp to start with, so anything is an improvement. I wish I had known a 25" bar would fit the bar nose steering a little better, I wouldn't have gotten the 24" if I had known better. I do have a 28" bar and cross cutting chain, but I might get a few extra 28" loops to convert to ripping chains for 24" diameter logs (mfg listed max log size).

I get plenty of breaks between cuts from adjusting the log beds or whatever. I wasn't worrying about speed today and could have turned the saw off while making adjustments and stuff. The reason for having one end higher than the other is because you get a lot of waste otherwise, at least that's what I discovered. They really weren't that sharp to start with, so anything is an improvement. I wish I had known a 25" bar would fit the bar nose steering a little better, I wouldn't have gotten the 24" if I had known better. I do have a 28" bar and cross cutting chain, but I might get a few extra 28" loops to convert to ripping chains for 24" diameter logs (mfg listed max log size).
Several of the posts I have read about milling say they are just using standard chain to mill with. Those using it say the surface texture is just as good as milling chain, some of them change the top plate to 25* instead of 30* some don’t.